How long does millet last?

Calculations

Aug 30, 2021
Media
Parrots
I have a budgie I've considered a teil in the future but it won't be anytime soon I'd like to gain more experience before I get any more birds.
I found a 50$ box of millet on amazon i have a single budgie and i realize it's a bit extreme but for someone who doesn't have a ton of money to spend monthly (Which is why i make most of the toys and buy them on occasions) I was wondering how long millet lasts before going bad? I'm really hoping it lasts a decent amount of time because this could last her forever. Realistically she'll never need all that millet but if i had any birds in the future they might use some too. I just wanna know if it get old or how to prolong its life.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Keep it in a air tight, moisture free container and itll last you a good while

OP
Calculations

Calculations

Aug 30, 2021
Media
Parrots
I have a budgie I've considered a teil in the future but it won't be anytime soon I'd like to gain more experience before I get any more birds.
Keep it in a air tight, moisture free container and itll last you a good while
Thanks, do you know the length exactly? or unsure?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I'm unsure, as long as they're kept dry though I wouldnt imagine they really have an expiration date

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I buy millet in 5lb boxes without printed expiration date. I'd guess at least one or more years if stored in stable environment, most critical to avoid vermin contamination! The other day I freshened bird food and supplies in my "evacuation" van and noticed the millet appeared pristine in poly bag despite a year of hot temps.

Do you have friends or associates with avians who may wish to split the purchase?

OP
Calculations

Calculations

Aug 30, 2021
Media
Parrots
I buy millet in 5lb boxes without printed expiration date. I'd guess at least one or more years if stored in stable environment, most critical to avoid vermin contamination! The other day I freshened bird food and supplies in my "evacuation" van and noticed the millet appeared pristine in poly bag despite a year of hot temps.

Do you have friends or associates with avians who may wish to split the purchase?
No i don't and I'm rural so even if i did there isn't any transportation to get there. But, i got a place to store it in my room where the air conditioner is. I also store my potatoes in here because of hear haha. it works.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

I'd buy the box and keep it as dry and cool as possible. Realistically, millet ought be safe and usable provided it looks pristine and free of insects. Honestly, vermin likely most critical factor for longevity. Many spices and dried plants are usable for decades if not longer!

OP
Calculations

Calculations

Aug 30, 2021
Media
Parrots
I'd buy the box and keep it as dry and cool as possible. Realistically, millet ought be safe and usable provided it looks pristine and free of insects. Honestly, vermin likely most critical factor for longevity. Many spices and dried plants are usable for decades if not longer!
I've never had vermin problems so that's already aplus. I have a airconditioner and i'd keep it in the same room as the air conditioner.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Excellent! Another thought, freezing as commonly done with seed? I've never tried and unsure if it would defrost crisply. Might experiment with a small piece?

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Millet can stay for serveral years in good dry storage without any issues. As others mentioned above, your biggest enemy is moisture and vermin/insects.

OP
Calculations

Calculations

Aug 30, 2021
Media
Parrots
Millet can stay for serveral years in good dry storage without any issues. As others mentioned above, your biggest enemy is moisture and vermin/insects.
Insects may be a problem with an old apartment like mine we have bugs on occasions. usually harmless ones like ants. But i can buy small bags and bag them individually once their here and use one at a time hopefully that'll solve the problem.

OP
Calculations

Calculations

Aug 30, 2021
Media
Parrots
I'm so glad nobody gave advice and added i feed my bird 2 things of millet a day i just got that comment somewhere and I'm sure that isn't healthy.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Insects may be a problem with an old apartment like mine we have bugs on occasions. usually harmless ones like ants. But i can buy small bags and bag them individually once their here and use one at a time hopefully that'll solve the problem.
If you can get any kind of container that you can shut really tight, it should help to prevent the infestations. (Box within a box, hmm.). If you'd put in smaller bags, you can leave them in the freezer overnight to kill off anything that might've crawled in beforehand.

We also usually buy a lot of millet and other types of grass seeds and make a mixture of our own. Our budgie has been eating our mixture for 7 years and still is in top condition. (Ok, recently she started eating pellets too, but she still eats her seed mix.)

Also don't worry if people start poking about millet not being healthy for them. Alone it really is not, but I can find out the English names of seeds of what we use for our mixture.

Most Reactions

Latest posts