How long lovebirds need to adapt in new place?

Puikis

Nov 27, 2017
Hi. We have brought two 10 month old lovebirds male and female 2 days ago. They are very stressed, just sit on the top branch of the cage and does nothing. Even does not eat or drink. How long is it normal to bet like this when they should start eating?

script>

Last edited:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It may take a few days, longer if they were not tame to begin with. Were they store-bought? Breeder birds? Aviary birds? How they were raised can make a huge difference in their adjustment time. Normally a hand-fed bird will be much more comfortable around people than a breeder bird or un-tame bird, so more information would be helpful.

Continue to change water daily and their food out as well. Go at their pace - don't try to touch them or reach in their cage if they are scared of you. Let them adjust on their own terms.

OP
P

Puikis

Nov 27, 2017
We brought them from breeder. They were living in a big room with many other love birds. We put them to the cage. We brought the biggest we could find, but the space is still much smaller than in the breeders house. This morning I saw they have eaten because there is much less food and water left. Also seeds are scattered all over the cage. Also they both now are climbing the wals of cage and cheking carefully every single bar of the cage with they beaks. I think they are trying to find a way to escape the cage. Should I let them out to fly a little bit in the room?

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I would wait on letting them out until they are comfortable taking treats from your hands and perch on a stick held by you. The last thing you want is for them to not want/not know how to get in the cage. At that point you'll need to show them but if they're still scared then they aren't going to want to be near you which could cause crashes and other accidents. Spending a week in the cage isn't going to do them any harm.

Take your time sitting and talking to them, offering treats, getting them used to the concept that you're not there to hurt them, it'll take a bit of time but you'll get there.

Most Reactions

Latest posts