How Long Until Safe to Sleep in Freshly Painted House?

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
The inside of the house was painted with Porter Paint Silken Touch (has the green Eco label, and is considered Low VOC). The walls and ceiling were all painted, and the odor is still there one week later. Have aired out house with fans and open windows, a/c, etc. Pritti is an older Cherry-head conure that has had some recent bouts of illness. He is doing great now, but I don't want to dare jeopardize his health (or mine for that matter, lol). We have both been staying with someone else since the painting. We're comfie, but home is where the heart is.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this?

Thanks.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Porter;s INTERSEPT paint line is low VOC & their Pure Performance line are zero VOC paints. Their Silken Touch line is a low odor paint line…..if you specified a low or zero odor product, I’d be complaining to the painter or paint store (whomever supplied the paint) & serve them with written notice that I would hold them responsible if any harm were to come to my birds.

Interior paint typically take about 28 days to cure, even though it is dry to the touch. The problem with paint offgasing is mainly with alkyd/oil based paints & the dangerous period can run a full month, or longer if heating systems are running.

Actually, you’re probably safe as the paint is an all latex product…..it’s just that the chemicals that make up the paint just stinks a little more than others. If it were my house, I probably wouldn't be concerned...however... if primers are used to prep surfaces, those need to be considered separately as their formulations are different.....

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Yes, there were primers used too. From what I read, the Silken Touch is categorized as low VOC because it is 50 or below, which meets the requirement. I hope that is accurate. I didn't go with colored paint becaused I read that it adds to the VOCs.

I'm thinking to wait the full 28 days, or is that being neurotic??

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Again, if the primers were of the Satin Touch line, I'd say you probably really are OK, however, if any of the primers were oil based, I might be inclined to go the whole month.....

Although your paint may still have an offensive odor to you, latex paints begin ending their offgasssing the same day they are applied.....not so with oil based paints.....some oil based paints may still offgas 90 days after application.....it totally depends on the chemicals used in the formula.

For those really concerned, go with zero VOC paints only.....

If it is warm enough in your part of Florida, A/C will cause the paint to dry faster, but heat, while also speeding drying, will cause offensive paint odors to seem stronger.....

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots

Thanks Weco. From now on I will always go for the NO VOC paints, primers, etc. Am waiting for painter's email to let me know exactly what was used to prime ceiling, walls, baseboards, trim.

Most Reactions

Latest posts