Prevue cages

cthulhus_minion

Jan 28, 2013
Arkansas
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure
I just got my new prevue cage for my blue crown Conure, and I have had one for my African grey when some babies becomes weaned. Both cages required some modifications to put them together. I find that pretty unacceptable considering you are paying over $200 for them. By all means they are nice cages and seem to be built sturdy. But has anyone else had that many problems with prevue cages?

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
Actually, i just bought two cages I did have some slight bending on the bars but that is to be expected during shipping. The part that was a problem for me was one of the feeding doors the whole square piece was like it was installed wrong it sits lower than it should, so i have to force the door open and closed. Prevue was really awesome though, i called and i have a new panel on the way. My 2nd cage came today, i hope it is going to be okay because there is a hole in the box. My 2nd cage is huge and i can't put it together by myself so i have to wait until Friday. Did you notice a rubber smell with your cage? I thought maybe it was the wheels but i had the packing sitting out in another room and could still smell it. I had to let my first cage air out it smelled so bad. Overall, i am really happy with prevue though. I have a petco cage which prevue makes and it has been awesome.

OP
C

cthulhus_minion

Jan 28, 2013
Arkansas
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure
No rubber smell in either of mine. The playtop piece seemed to be bent somehow or welded a little off, but I got some pliers and bent part if it and I was able to hammer it into place. Great cages but the assembly is a real pain.

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
It will be interesting to see if the new cage smells like rubber too, hopefully it was just the one cage.

OP
C

cthulhus_minion

Jan 28, 2013
Arkansas
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure
Did you remove the secondary piece that serves as a gravity lock? My large cage has landing type doors with this type of lock and a mechanical lock for the large door which is great, my cage for my BCC has a mechanical and a gravity lock, I removed the tab on the gravity lock to make opening it alot easier.

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
I just got my new prevue cage for my blue crown Conure, and I have had one for my African grey when some babies becomes weaned. Both cages required some modifications to put them together. I find that pretty unacceptable considering you are paying over $200 for them. By all means they are nice cages and seem to be built sturdy. But has anyone else had that many problems with prevue cages?

Yup.

I've returned a couple, and when my fids ultimately expire, I'm done with an industry that cheats its customers with such piddling poor quality for premium prices. It's not a one-way street, contrary to belief. Though I'll try to keep my existing cages in great condition, to make my own will be the new goal.

The factory subcontracted to make these things, from disjointed drill holes for screws, to logos being printed backwards (what the heck?!), and even to write the instructions, do a very poor job in doing so. Probably to "cut cost". The instructions are okay, but if they rely too much on pictures as opposed to words - are humans becoming illiterate and it costs too much to take 2 minutes using a commonplace language translator to whip up translations for 6 languages?

I wouldn't be surprised if they put in a little lead, which costs less than other metals, to shave off a little more cost and to make the profit margins larger.

Some cages are very poorly made and even some demo units at the big box pet stores show where faults lie. It's not due to the store workers being lazy; these things are overpriced slop. And to fleece customers is unethical - period.

If you want it done right, you really have to do it yourself. Rely on others and all they will do is cheat you for ever damn penny you've got and more, and this isn't limited to just one type of product. :(

Last edited:

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
I've had the same Prevue cage for many birds, and its lasted strong throughout. Peeko is now using it and its working wonderfully. Nothing was smelly, bent, or out of place when we got it, but it did take several tries to put it together, simply because my father was too stubborn to actually read the directions. When he finally agreed to read the directions, we were able to put it together no problem. The only modifications we've had to make is rigging something up to keep the food/nest doors closed, but it took all of five minutes and under $10.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
The only cages that were truly great were Cali cages:). I have had issues with hq macaw cages because they don't line up when screwed together then the grate doesn't go in right. Environmental cages meaning they have no screws hey just pop or slide together I hate because the peices get lost or broken. Cages are such a pain they need to go back to Weilded cages IMO.

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
I have a Prevue cage and the only issue I had were that the assembly instructions were horrid. My husband is a mechanical engineer and he ended up looking at the picture online. I did have a seed catcher panel bent during shipping. I called Prevue and their customer service was awesome. They shipped me another one and I had it within in two days.

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Okay put the second cage together. No bad rubber smell this time, the wheels on the first cage that was stinky were a soft rubber. The wheels on the 2nd cage are a hard rubber. The only real problem this time was the top of the cage where it screws to the sides, the hole was too small for the screws provided so have to go out and buy one smaller screw.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I have a Kings cage and it also required a lot of assembly. It didn't have any issues that required modification, and it has definitely lasted (looks almost brand new and it is 12 years old), but it was shipped in a lot of pieces and definitely wasn't cheap.

momto3

Mar 19, 2012
I have 4 Prevue Hendryx cages, all of which I purchased from Overstock.com. I love these cages! One of the cages did arrive bent from shipping damage and I called customer service. They sent a new cage, which arrived bent again. Then they sent panels direct from Prevue Hendryx. The entire process, while a pain, took only a week. Customer service for both Overstock.com and Prevue is excellent. Just call and complain about the parts and they will send you new ones. FYI, I didn't have any trouble putting the cages together and my son and I did it in about 15 minutes. Just take it all out and mess with it a bit and it becomes pretty easy to figure out. The cages are super easy to clean and I like the fact that it comes with a bottle of touch up paint.

Most Reactions

Latest posts