how many times a day should I serve chop to my budgies and when? also another problem

Needhelpwithbirb

Nov 15, 2023
Parrots
2budgies
okay so Im only able to give my budgies chop and seeds in my area there isn't any good pellets available all coloured fruit pellets with sugar etc etc. so I serve them chop as soon as they wake up at like 8 or 9am then I think I leave it there till 1pm ish?. and then seeds the after. so my question is let's say I gave them chop at 8am or 9am after that when do i take it out of the cage? and should I serve chop taking it out and like when? basically how many times a day should I serve them chop and what should be the time difference between when I serve it in the morning and later on. then I guess I'll give them seeds rest of the evening. and my other problem is my budgie Rio is scared of stepping up on my finger if he is on the groud he was okay with it when he was little but idk what happened for the past month when he is on the floor if I put my fingers Infront of him for him to step up he will run away or back away kinda looking scared of it. but he is okay to step up if it is like stepping up from one finger to another. I tried to make him step up from the floor by bribing him with streets but it didn't work he will just fly to the hand in which I'm offering the treat and avoid the finger even more. what should I do to make him step up on my finger when he is on the ground instead of getting scared of it?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
If you put food in the palm of your hand will Rio step onto that hand? He doesn’t have to step up onto your finger if he would rather step up to your hand. My Quaker parrot steps up onto my arm and I’m ok with that! As for feeding chop, I think what you’re doing sounds pretty good! It might be best to only leave fresh food out for a few hours or it can start to rot, but otherwise your routine seems fine. I feed my budgies almost the same way you do; fresh food in the morning and seeds the rest of the day, and they seem to do well on that. If they are eating fresh chop and not just seeds, I wouldn’t be too concerned that they aren’t getting pellets.

OP
N

Needhelpwithbirb

Nov 15, 2023
Parrots
2budgies
Thank you so much I got kind of worried because I saw bird YouTubers saying only give your bird chop and pellets seeds shouldn't be kept inside their cage they should only be used as treats and like a lot of bird owners serve their bird chop for dinner and like stuff like that so I was confused that am I doing the right thing?. and yea he will come up in the palm of my hand if there's food he is okay with that. I have another problem which is recall training, I had Rio ever since he was a baby and I recall trained him as soon as he started learning how to fly. we were doing good but these days he doesn't come when I call him and I tried training him again but he doesn't want to cooperate, he will come to me once or twice and then when he understands what I'm doing he will just ignore me and even ignore the treats. how do I make him cooperate with me while training?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Birds can get bored doing the same thing over and over. If Rio will come once or twice, then reward him for that and take a break from training before he gets bored. If he has certain seeds or fresh foods he really likes ( like millet sprays or lettuce perhaps) maybe limit his access to these particular foods during the day and use them mostly as extra special treats while training.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
As for the diet issues... I feed Harrison's (mail ordered), supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products. Every day isn't a perfect buffet, but if good chop is fed over time, I bet you'll be fine. I also like to make toys out of food... a whole carrot, for example... good fun, fights boredom.
I'll let others discuss the step-up and behavior problems. My rooster does whatever he pleases, encouraged by my pathetic behavior management.
Good luck to you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts