new budgie owner: trouble bonding etc

Pipsqueek

Mar 25, 2024
Media
Albums
Massachusetts -USA
I've had to take over the care for a budgie my elderly mother randomly decided to get herself for christmas. Since then I've done a lot of research on the care and bonding needed but still have not been able to bond with her the way others have or get her to play with toys. I also have 5 different types of foods that I've tried-pellets, berries, tropical food blends, highly recommended brand names and tried various types of veges/fruits but she won't eat anything but seeds and a tiny nibble of apple no matter what I try to do the seed to pellet conversion; she just tosses everything aside that isn't seeds. As far as bonding, she has no problem with me putting my hand in the cage and reaching over her head to put food in or clean, she'll come out of her cage on her own to ground forage and hop on my feet (still only flying a little bit), runs around on the floor with no fear at all of my dog, but no matter what I've tried she won't finger perch or come to me when she's in her cage or out so I have to wait for her to go back because when I try to get her to perch she'll run away or bite me. She's only about 4 months old but we've had her 3+ months so I'm about ready to give up on the training-I'm concerned because most of what I've read says she shouldn't even be out of her cage if she isn't perched trained to come; but I have to let her out to get exercise. Should I get her another budgie friend to bond with, keep trying to bond with her, just let her be and leave her alone or would it be best to surrender her to someone she may bond with rather than me. Totally new to bird ownership so hoping reaching out will help with the frustration and helplessness.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Hello! Your budgie is beautiful! It sounds like you are doing a really good job with her so far. In regards to food, there are different opinions but in general it it is agreed that budgies do not need to have a pellet heavy diet. I would focus on getting her to eat fresh veggies along with her seeds. Lettuce is a big favorite for every budgie I’ve ever had and is usually the first thing they are willing to try. Peas, corn, spinach, and hard boiled eggs are also favorites!

When it comes to training step up, I’m going to be honest; I only ever taught one budgie to do it and it took probably close to a year. Budgies are much less into physical touch than a lot of birds and they can be more “flighty.” I think one of the best ways you can teach step up for a little bird is by feeding them their favorite food by hand so that they have to climb onto your hand to get to the food. If your budgie is ok with you reaching into the cage while she is in there, I think she could graduate to eating from your hand pretty quickly.

You are absolutely right that your bird needs to get out of her cage to exercise; budgies are very high energy! Most of my budgies have never been finger trained but I just leave the cage open all day and then close it when they go in at night. If you find a particular food your bird really likes, you can always use that to lure her in when you want to put her away. I hope you start to feel that special bond with this little budgie soon! ❤️

OP
Pipsqueek

Pipsqueek

Mar 25, 2024
Media
Albums
Massachusetts -USA
thank you for the input. apparently this little girl knows what she does and doesn't want for sure. She's lucky I'm home all day and she can just run around; and that I have a Very Good dog that leaves her alone when I say to. I hate to say it but she's a lot more work than the dog :)

Feb 17, 2024
Tulsa
Parrots
Sunny (lutino budgie)
Sky (yellowface budgie)
Pixie (dilute budgie)
What a coincidence, I randomly bought birds this Christmas. Well, semi-randomly, thought about the gift for a month. Anyway, my boys weren't eating veggies either, until I put them in front of the tv and turned it to YouTube channels of birds playing and eating. My fav channel is Band of Parrots. The boys are watching it right now. The baby in my avatar is still in quarantine, away from the tv, and hasn't touched a single veggie. Apparently watching other birds try them really helps.

Oh, if you find a flock to watch that has an irritating sound in it, don't let the birds watch anything from that channel. They will pick up the language of the flock they watch.

Oh, and have you tried a stick for them to step up on? Mine are all still wary of hands, but this can help. The boys won't come out of their cage, but Pixie will play at my feet like that. She won't get on my finger but jumps on the stick right away.

OP
Pipsqueek

Pipsqueek

Mar 25, 2024
Media
Albums
Massachusetts -USA
What a coincidence, I randomly bought birds this Christmas. Well, semi-randomly, thought about the gift for a month. Anyway, my boys weren't eating veggies either, until I put them in front of the tv and turned it to YouTube channels of birds playing and eating. My fav channel is Band of Parrots. The boys are watching it right now. The baby in my avatar is still in quarantine, away from the tv, and hasn't touched a single veggie. Apparently watching other birds try them really helps.

Oh, if you find a flock to watch that has an irritating sound in it, don't let the birds watch anything from that channel. They will pick up the language of the flock they watch.

Oh, and have you tried a stick for them to step up on? Mine are all still wary of hands, but this can help. The boys won't come out of their cage, but Pixie will play at my feet like that. She won't get on my finger but jumps on the stick right away.
You're birds are so pretty. When Pip first came home it took a couple weeks to discover that using a video Happy Budgies 1 was the only way to get her to start 'talking' and moving around her cage. I've tried one video that I found where there's a bunch of budgies eating a dish of veggies but she's still not interested, she spends most of her day pecking thru her food. Just the last couple of days she nibbles at some but that's it. She does like apples though. This week I've finally had a little success with getting her on my fingers-when she's on the floor and wants to quickly get back up to her cage or playset-but no luck when she's in her cage. I just think it's an age thing too and she'll get more used to everything as she gets a older. I'll take a look at your link too. Thank you

Feb 17, 2024
Tulsa
Parrots
Sunny (lutino budgie)
Sky (yellowface budgie)
Pixie (dilute budgie)
Thank you, yours is pretty too, I love how well the name fits his coloring too, like he's got pips of color :). Or is that just your username?

OP
Pipsqueek

Pipsqueek

Mar 25, 2024
Media
Albums
Massachusetts -USA
Thank you, yours is pretty too, I love how well the name fits his coloring too, like he's got pips of color :). Or is that just your username?
Her name is Pipsqueek (for us pipsqueek just means very small; not the actual dictionary meaning), but my mother calls her Pip. True story: my mother actually started by calling her Pimp-short for Pimpsqueek, but I told her she wasn't allowed to call her Pimp, so I changed it. :LOL: LOL

Most Reactions

Latest posts