How much do you spend per year on your parrots?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Kirbyā€™s chop mix runs us about $30-40 a month, but his pellets are only $15 for the small bag, he doesnā€™t go through much and always has leftover at night! Heā€™s gaining weight too, which is endlessly amusing but also something we have to keep an eye on.

Otherwise, we bought a 5lb frozen bean/grain/veg mix from the parrot store that was $30 that should last us at least 6 mo, I donā€™t put a lot into his chop. Medical wise heā€™s been easy on us this year - he only had his yearly exam which was $350, and a $150 follow up exam and fecal to address some issues.

Itā€™s his meds that get us! Itā€™s about 30/mo for his enalapril and his joint and heart supplement. He is also on a $40 probiotic that looks like it should last us about 3 months per box.

Last year he had an emergency avian appointment after our other bird unexpectedly passed, and then had frequent nasal flushes until we sorted out his humidifier and his air filter situation. His humidifier ran us about $150, his new air filter was $180. Throw in another $30/mo as a very, very low estimate for cost of new toys; he has a stock of them already so we only buy two new ones every month to rotate in. We also got him a new cage this year for $300.

So, for 2023 so farā€¦ $1,625!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wow! That sounds like a full time job! Do you grow your own produce in the summer?
We are going to do that this year (I hope!)
We do have unlimited raspberries already. We mostly get the produce from the mark-down rack, and make a big chop to freeze if there is enough.

Before my back got so bad, I was spending between 8-10 hours a day between feeding, cleaning and time-outs. My kitchen is currently upstairs and all the birds are down and I can't make that many trips on the stairs anymore so my husband has been doing it all.
We're in the process of putting a kitchen in downstairs, that is going to make things so much easier! All I have to do is put the bowls on a rolling utility stand and push it into each bird room.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What's the noise level like with all those parrots? I imagine it can be deafening.
The conure room is the loudest in the house! haha
All of the birds in the big room are loud individually., but thankfully they aren't loud at the same time.
However, Slater's scream is in a key not meant to be on earth and it feels like a spike is being drilled into my brain. I haven't heard him scream in a long time now, he and I finally got to know and trust each other and the non-stop screaming stopped:)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Oh! I thought you were either joking, the most creative tax evader I've ever heard of, or a bit nuts! Or maybe you knew something I didn't. Could you imagine having to explain to the IRS that Julio, the dependent listed on your returns, is a parrot?

If you have ever suffer with completing the long form and then in the Medical section determine at what point, you in fact receive a deduction, the amount of money spent is huge!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
If you have ever suffer with completing the long form and then in the Medical section determine at what point, you in fact receive a deduction, the amount of money spent is huge!
I've itemized my medical deductions in the past and got audited (what a drag that was) and I came out clean and all legitimate but it took three years.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
The conure room is the loudest in the house! haha
All of the birds in the big room are loud individually., but thankfully they aren't loud at the same time.
However, Slater's scream is in a key not meant to be on earth and it feels like a spike is being drilled into my brain. I haven't heard him scream in a long time now, he and I finally got to know and trust each other and the non-stop screaming stopped:)
You should make a thread about all your 25 birds. I'd love to "meet" them.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
You should make a thread about all your 25 birds. I'd love to "meet" them.

I'll do that just for you, my friend:) It may take me awhile..lol

ETA: I just can't look through the pictures today, it hurts too much. I'll definitely do this, though, they all deserve a thread:) Thank you for the reminder!

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I'll do that just for you, my friend:) It may take me awhile..lol

ETA: I just can't look through the pictures today, it hurts too much. I'll definitely do this, though, they all deserve a thread:) Thank you for the reminder!
Thanks! Please include your dearly departed Justice and take your time.

OP
foxgloveparrot

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Bump!

OP
foxgloveparrot

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Bumping again :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, with the vast effects of inflation, the costs of providing for HRH has increased with the average being some place North of 35% over the last three years.

With great luck, he has been healthy over this past couple of years, which had kept the Vet costs within reason.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Damn I dont even know, maybe 300-500? Look, I dont have a job yet, and I live with my parents so
There is only so much I can do

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Damn I dont even know, maybe 300-500? Look, I dont have a job yet, and I live with my parents so
There is only so much I can do
TOO MUCH! But I love them, so it's worth it!

But I guess it's less than what it costs to keep a dog. I've never had a dog but they eat a lot more and seem to go to the vet much more frequently. Plus grooming, boarding expenses if you go out of town, doggie daycare, dog walkers, toys, leashes, treats, fencing to keep them in the yard. Plus expenses for replacing or cleaning things they damage or destroy (especially puppies or very geriatric dogs).

I don't know about cat expenses. They would seem to be lower than dogs.

Most Reactions