How much?

flyforever

Jul 25, 2013
Hi! :)
I have two questions. First off, for a green cheek conure, is it better to leave a few tablespoons of pellets in a bowl in her cage all day (note she is out of her cage for a large amount of that time, and does not eat all of them in a day) and give fruits and veggies at random times or to set certain times at which she receives pellets/fruits/veggies and take the bowl out after an amount of time?

Also, while training, the treats she receives are usually millet and occasionally dried papaya. How much of these treats is a good amount (not too much) to give each day?

Thank you; hope you and your birds are doing well!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
All my birds have a cup of pellets in their cage at all times. Fruits & vegetables are offered at various times (morning is best) and removed after a few hours. For training treats I use a hulled sunflower seed, pine nut, or pumpkin seed. Give as many as are earned by right behavior during training. And a note about water (my pet peeve). If there is anything in the water bowl other than water, it needs to be changed. If you wouldn't drink it yourself, it needs to be changed. If it's been there a few hours, it needs to be changed. Water gets stale sitting there a while. Pour a glass of water, and leave it on the table. Go to work, or school. When you come home, drink it. Of course, if you're not home, you cannot do anything about it. But, please change it as often as possible.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
All my birds have a cup of pellets in their cage at all times. Fruits & vegetables are offered at various times (morning is best) and removed after a few hours. For training treats I use a hulled sunflower seed, pine nut, or pumpkin seed. Give as many as are earned by right behavior during training. And a note about water (my pet peeve). If there is anything in the water bowl other than water, it needs to be changed. If you wouldn't drink it yourself, it needs to be changed. If it's been there a few hours, it needs to be changed. Water gets stale sitting there a while. Pour a glass of water, and leave it on the table. Go to work, or school. When you come home, drink it. Of course, if you're not home, you cannot do anything about it. But, please change it as often as possible.

Totally agree about the water, Bill. I've left a glass off water on my night stand for a day, and got the hiccups. Drank the water, yuch stale and tasted horrible. :D So change your birds water often.

Most Reactions