How often can hormones be to blame for crazy behaviour in gcc

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
Sorry I have so many questions ..
I just asked about over preening. He still is but firstly we are trying some chamomile to see if it helps
But now he seems to have gone back to Feb when all he did was bite and scream. And from what I read it was hormonal type of behaviour.
He also has pin feathers still coming.
This time the biting has started again. Weirdly though... he's hanging on his back by one foot off my shoulder. Biting me on my neck and ears. Sort of playing but a bit hysterical.
Then he goes to the front of the tv and starts having a scream. I have to move him on. He's generally agitated. He's talking fast gibberish and then bites me at the end of it.
Its like he has no control. He was sitting on me a couple of times a day to nap. Somedays he's too hyper. It's like a switch flicked.
Now he over preens and is generally erratic.
He is also suddenly scared of things too. A box or a bird outside .. or a person visiting.
These things never bothered him. Generally stressed I think. But I'm in Australia. So I can't work out when hormonal issues can start. And if they can be constant or a few times a year.
No clue here and I'd like to help him. 🙂

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That’s what my gcc Oscar was like. For the sudden alarm call screaming outbursts, I talked to him from a distance he was ok with until he calmed down. The sudden biting I never understood. I figure that any animal that is that tiny must get awfully afraid since they are basically lunch for anything. So he was just keyed up and very easy to get overwhelmed and start screeching like a fire alarm or biting frantically.

Oscar was devastated when my Lucy Quaker passed away and entirely refused to come out of his cage. I saw a Craigslist ad with someone searching for a conure to add to their home of conures so he went to live with them. I could not stand watching him be so miserable and hear that he did better with a few birds to interact with and not just one person (and no lost love). I think his adopters thought I was awful but I just wanted him to be ok in a setting where he could relate to birds and not a person.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
That’s what my gcc Oscar was like. For the sudden alarm call screaming outbursts, I talked to him from a distance he was ok with until he calmed down. The sudden biting I never understood. I figure that any animal that is that tiny must get awfully afraid since they are basically lunch for anything. So he was just keyed up and very easy to get overwhelmed and start screeching like a fire alarm or biting frantically.

Oscar was devastated when my Lucy Quaker passed away and entirely refused to come out of his cage. I saw a Craigslist ad with someone searching for a conure to add to their home of conures so he went to live with them. I could not stand watching him be so miserable and hear that he did better with a few birds to interact with and not just one person (and no lost love). I think his adopters thought I was awful but I just wanted him to be ok in a setting where he could relate to birds and not a person.
I don't think its awful. It's what he needed. I worry because I'm the person home. He is very attached. I am trying to leave him alone for a bit each day. Also he eats breakfast when I do but he stays in his cage. He's right there and can see me.
I found he can't be out all day. It's too much for him. Then he gets silly at night before bed.
Before when it was very bad I thought about rehoming him. But decided I'd muddle on for a bit longer.
Hes been here 6 months now. Its still tricky. But I'm not so cranky with I'm now.
They really are exhausting sometimes. And I have no history and he nothing like any bird or pet I've ever had 😉

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I wonder if maybe he's at the age of going through puberty?

I haven't been through it with my bird but I imagine it to be like you describe!

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
I wonder if maybe he's at the age of going through puberty?

I haven't been through it with my bird but I imagine it to be like you describe!
Tonight I'm fairly sure it's what's going on.
I don't know how old he is.
He has become very vocal. Not just screams but singing and making weird noises. Also very erratic. He's here and there jumping about ... biting has increased too.
Then I thought he was sitting low and leaning on me.
So I stopped that straight away. He's also in corner on top of the kitchen cupboard. Tweeting away and running and sitting weirdly. Tail up against the tiles.
The over preening can be part of it too. The stuff I read was all what he's doing.
I'm just trying to be calm about. When sometimes I want to yell shut up 🤣
I go into the bedroom and say shut up in there. So he can't hear me or pick up I'm cranky.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Really does sound like hormone activity, maybe even puberty. FYI, the first mating season, ie puberty, does not always have to be the worst one. My Salty had a very mild puberty, but then 2 years later BOOM, mating season for the next 2 years were awful. Last few have been fairly mild.

Just keep saying "This too shall pass" !

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
Mojito is going through puberty and he displays these behaviors but it is very mild, although he has good days and bad days. I found once I increased his sleep time it really helped. Also if he gets too overstimulated while out of the cage I have to give him time in the cage to play with toys. He loves having a little treasure chest with various foot toys in it that he can pick out for himself. Paper straws, finger traps (I just cut them to be more GCC sized), crinkle paper, jingle ball, plastic ring, leather knot, etc. We also developed a flock call. When I first got him, and I had to give him time in his cage, he put up a big fuss especially if I went into another room. He would start peeping and calling out so our flock call is me saying PEEP back and then he PEEPS back. Best advice I ever received was developing a flock call.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
How old is yours? Gcc mature very quickly. Could be could be an extra strong Hormonal season. Some of the behavior does sound Hormonal.

My gcc can get extra wound up when ever I first get her out. I give a her a few minutes of talking with before I attempt step up or petting or shoulder time.

Also if I've been away a lot and we haven't had enough time together . She is Xtra wound up and dramatic. Needs to chat about stuff and act it out for me..March around throw stuff. I wait and talk agree about how this is all a big deal till she gets it all worked out and calms down.

Green cheeks have amazing personality! Can be dramatic and put on a show.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
Mojito is going through puberty and he displays these behaviors but it is very mild, although he has good days and bad days. I found once I increased his sleep time it really helped. Also if he gets too overstimulated while out of the cage I have to give him time in the cage to play with toys. He loves having a little treasure chest with various foot toys in it that he can pick out for himself. Paper straws, finger traps (I just cut them to be more GCC sized), crinkle paper, jingle ball, plastic ring, leather knot, etc. We also developed a flock call. When I first got him, and I had to give him time in his cage, he put up a big fuss especially if I went into another room. He would start peeping and calling out so our flock call is me saying PEEP back and then he PEEPS back. Best advice I ever received was developing a flock call.
I just bought some new toys 🤞 I always let him know I'm still there but I can't get him into the flock call. He just screams lol. I think it would help a lot. We definitely need cage time unless he's been in while I've had to go out. He also chills after a bath. Today is calm so far but its only 3.40 here. Plenty of time to act up.
I also had to change my view on his behaviour. All other pets I've been able to calm down and train. And get better behaviour. This little bird is a big challenge.
He's not doing anything he doesn't want to. I really had to get my head around it.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
How old is yours? Gcc mature very quickly. Could be could be an extra strong Hormonal season. Some of the behavior does sound Hormonal.

My gcc can get extra wound up when ever I first get her out. I give a her a few minutes of talking with before I attempt step up or petting or shoulder time.

Also if I've been away a lot and we haven't had enough time together . She is Xtra wound up and dramatic. Needs to chat about stuff and act it out for me..March around throw stuff. I wait and talk agree about how this is all a big deal till she gets it all worked out and calms down.

Green cheeks have amazing personality! Can be dramatic and put on a show.
No clue of age or if he's really a he. But he's called he until I know any better ...
I guess I was thinking of our seasons. Not what is programmed into him and where he comes from. It's winter here. But not where he originates from.
Hes become very vocal. Noises I've never heard. Acting quite erratic. Wanting to treat me like a bird... biting and preening and hanging off me.
And really aggressive. Attacking the water bottle or a spoon or me if I touch something he doesn't like. Little hisses and lunging.
Its new behaviour...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
W. Is also in a mood lately. I thought he was over being mad that I changed his food but he was grouchy again today. I had a cold last week and slept a lot so he didn’t get out as much though certainly for a good stretch most every day. Maybe he is feeling spring as well? He was trying to weave his hanging toy and not having any success, but is scared of the sticks I put in his cage.

I think we need to take some walks around the block or visit neighbors to get ‘close’ again. Maybe get some photos of Willow with spring flowers. He loves to pose for the camera and it will be sunny.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
No clue of age or if he's really a he. But he's called he until I know any better ...
I guess I was thinking of our seasons. Not what is programmed into him and where he comes from. It's winter here. But not where he originates from.
Hes become very vocal. Noises I've never heard. Acting quite erratic. Wanting to treat me like a bird... biting and preening and hanging off me.
And really aggressive. Attacking the water bottle or a spoon or me if I touch something he doesn't like. Little hisses and lunging.
Its new behaviour...
But by photoperiod it is early summer and your conure might be meeting other birds and forming a pair bond if he were in the wild.

Hormones be terrible! And that what it sounds like to me. Grinding his behind on toys, attacking things, jealousy…. But greencheeks are so cute even as they have another meltdown. Just loud and bitey.

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
I’m convinced green cheeks are toddlers on soda. Not a dull moment has gone by since I brought him home but I can’t imagine life without him now.

Most Reactions

Latest posts