How sensitive are parrots to smooth noise when sleeping?

HelgaMoro

Jun 26, 2021
Hi! I want my green-cheek's sleeping place to be in the storage room. It's the only completely dark room in the house. The problem is - there is a boiler (water heater) there and it does this low smooth constant "zzzzhhhhhh" noise. Like a long exhale, similar to the sound of a PC or a strong air conditioner. Is that bad?

Also, is it okay for a sleeping cage to be tiny (56x36x62cm)? He has a big daytime cage (79x50x130).

Last edited:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
As long as the noise isn’t blaring it probably doesn’t disturb him. I bet he’d be used to it anyways.

Most people who choose to do sleeping cages provide smaller cages. There’s not really a point for them to have giant cages just for sleeping, having a smaller cage to sleep in is probably safer too, if they should have a night fright they couldn’t get speed and hit a cage wall too hard.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi, welcome. Honest;y i would not put any animal, much less sensitive ones like parrots in a boiler room. Aside from th noise (whch I thnk he would get used to) the temperature rises and falls as the water heater gets demands on it. AND, they break. I used to have a huge snake collection, over 100 snakes and dozens of species, all kept at my grandfathers house, in the boiler room. Cages from floor to celing. You guessed it. The boiler broke, the temperature flew up and up and up. We lost every single snake except for the cages on the floor (large pythons). Everything else died.

SO no I would not keep parrots in a boiler room, no matter how dark. You can always get some light proof fabric and make a black out cover for the cage, in a much safer spot.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hi, welcome. Honest;y i would not put any animal, much less sensitive ones like parrots in a boiler room. Aside from th noise (whch I thnk he would get used to) the temperature rises and falls as the water heater gets demands on it. AND, they break. I used to have a huge snake collection, over 100 snakes and dozens of species, all kept at my grandfathers house, in the boiler room. Cages from floor to celing. You guessed it. The boiler broke, the temperature flew up and up and up. We lost every single snake except for the cages on the floor (large pythons). Everything else died.

SO no I would not keep parrots in a boiler room, no matter how dark. You can always get some light proof fabric and make a black out cover for the cage, in a much safer spot.
Oh! I didn’t think of this! Thank you for explaining!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

I don't like the boiler room idea either. I also don't like keeping my birds in a pitch dark room to sleep because if they wake up for some reason they won't be able to find their way around their cage in the dark and could panic and injure themselves. A dim light with a lightweight cover in a room that's quiet (no loud disturbances or flashing lights) is best for sleeping. It's not pitch black at night for wild parrots- they have moonlight which can be pretty bright. Soft steady "white noise" sounds are fine for sleeping parrots.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
We sleep in same room as our Parrots.
It's like our big nest.
If we get up in the middle of the night to use restroom or something I'll here them stir a bit, I click my teeth softly, maybe whisper "pretty birdy."
It's like they want to know what is going on and that they are safe.

Most Reactions