green cheek conure won’t sleep

budgielove111

Aug 5, 2022
Parrots
kiwi and coco budgies
I got a 5 year old green cheek conure about 3 days ago and he seems to be having trouble sleeping. He’s in a large cage and i dim the lights slowly for him to go to sleep. once the lights are all the way off i still hear him climbing the bars of the cage and making small squawking sounds for a few hours until i fall asleep. I turn off his lights around 9:15-9:30 and then leave the room for a bit before coming back in around 10:30-11:30 to go to sleep myself. Any suggestions to help him sleep or will it just take time due to it being a new cage and environment?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think he just needs to get used to his new home and to you.

My birds don’t sleep completely soundly at night. They will kiss or click at me when I walk past their cages or to the bathroom (while lights are off). And sometimes they aren’t quite ready to go to sleep when I turn out the light and they go get a drink or some food .

If you hear him climbing around his cage you might tell him that he’s ok and it’s time to go to sleep . Sometimes my birds will calm down if they’re making a contact call and I say “hi, Jasper.” or “you’re ok, it’s ok” or “time to go goodnight”. I’m responding to their contact call which is comforting, I think.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Assuming the cage is covered, every time you hear him click or tap, respond in kind! You both are just reassuring each other, ‘all is good’!

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Assuming the cage is covered, every time you hear him click or tap, respond in kind! You both are just reassuring each other, ‘all is good’!
I fostered a Green-cheeked Conure for a while. At one point, I had him in my bedroom, in a travel carrier, to sleep for the night. (I give my parrots full liberty, including him, but I needed to segregate him for a night.) Once I did that, each night after, he would fly to me, each evening, as I went to the bedroom for the night. (He could tell, because I also dim my house lights as the even wears on.) A few times, I thought he chose to stay out on his own, but at the very last second, he'd land on my shoulder, just as I entered the bedroom.

He surely seemed to be saying, "Hey, don't go to bed without me; I want to sleep in the same room." I figured if he wanted to sleep in my bedroom that bad, I'd let him.

Can you find out if his previous keepers had him sleep in their bedroom, in a "sleeping cage" perhaps?

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Last night i put albie ,ive had him since he was 12 weeks old and hes almost 3 ,to bed at his request (he was repeatedly telling me it was "bed time") so i put him to bed at 8pm. It was nice and dark and his cage was covered, his sleep cage is next to my side of the bed sonhes as close as possible . And then he started chattering away to himself very very loudly and carried on like that for about 3 hours. He sounded like he was practicing phrases , he was cackling, he was giving never ending kisses. He just wouldnt shut up for 3 solid hours !

Sometimes they just want to chatter away to themselves amd practice words pr phrases or sounds with put being watched .

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Last night i put albie ,ive had him since he was 12 weeks old and hes almost 3 ,to bed at his request (he was repeatedly telling me it was "bed time") so i put him to bed at 8pm. It was nice and dark and his cage was covered, his sleep cage is next to my side of the bed sonhes as close as possible . And then he started chattering away to himself very very loudly and carried on like that for about 3 hours. He sounded like he was practicing phrases , he was cackling, he was giving never ending kisses. He just wouldnt shut up for 3 solid hours !

Sometimes they just want to chatter away to themselves amd practice words pr phrases or sounds with put being watched .
@Stitchthestitch Sorry it cost you hours of sleep, but that is too funny. :]

Most Reactions