How tamable is a parent-raised aviary Galah Cockatoo versus a hand-raised?

Bub

Jan 22, 2019
Parrots
Male and female Eclectus
Hey community! I'm someone with a lot of bird (and parrot) experience from the parental house, and I'd like to have my own partner-for-life bird now that I'm an adult and can provide for one.
I've done all the necessary research, and concluded that a Galah Cockatoo will be the bird I get to partner up with.

There is 1 local breeder, but unfortunately he only has aviary birds that are parent-raised. How much of a challenge will it be to befriend one of them, compared to buying a Galah Cockatoo that was hand-raised? And what are your long-term experiences with parent-raised birds? Will they end up the same as a hand-raised bird?

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences in advance :) I'll gladly answer all questions from you guys and girls.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Regardless of species, taming a parent raised aviary parrot is always going to be a throw of the dice. With exceptional patience, consistent technique and a big helping of luck, you might end up with a companion parrot that is more along the lines of your expectations. Might. However the dice could roll the other way. Are you prepared to have a basically aviary parrot for the next 40-50 years, should the dice roll that way?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Interesting proposition, prognosis a bit brighter considering it is a cockatoo vs other less malleable species.

Will the breeder share independent references so you can do due diligence with representative birds? I can share personal experience diverging both ways. I've had a pair of wild caught Goffins since 1988. Happy breeders until male aggression kicked in 10 years ago. Had to split, female seemed amenable to taming. She's now 90% as mellow as her three hand-fed offspring and enjoys handling. The male showed no positive vibes so I paired him with slightly larger female Citron - no nest box! Anecdotally female cockatoos less aggressive. In your case, task made simpler by captive-bred vs birds with a taste of freedom.

Most Reactions