How to clicker train a cockatiel that only wants to cuddle??

Tenleigh

Jun 20, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi everyone,
So I'm still relatively new to this site, but I'm already learning a ton! My fiance and I brought home our first fid, a 3 month old female green cheek conure! We drove 8 hours to get her, and from the minute she got into the car with us on the way home, it was all snuggling and cuteness! She bonded to us from the minute we got her home! We've only had her 2 days now, but all she wants to do is sleep on my chest. She loves it when I place my one hand over her back, keeping her toasty, while I rub her cheeks and head with the other. How do I get her to be more independent and play with her toys? We purchased 350$ in toys and she has a huge cage, but whenever I'm in sight she chirps and flutters around trying to get my attention so she can come out of the cage.

I also bought a clicker and we have sunflower seeds (only for training treats), and I tried to start with her today but she didn't want any of it. I clicked and gave her a treat several times, so she realizes that the click means a treat is coming, but all she wants is to fly over to me and cuddle up in my hair or on my chest. How do I clicker train her when all she wants is to cling to me?? As soon as the cage door opens BAM she's stuck to me like glue! While this is adorable and I love that she is so attached to me already, I want to be able to train her to do various things.

Thank you all for any help and suggestions!!

Oh and here's a pic of our little sweetie. Her name is Skittles :D
I’m having the same problem! My 4 month cockatiel only wants to be snuggled at the moment!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have a very snuggly Quaker. In his case, he wants to be fed his pellets and then pet for a while. After some neck- and head-scritching, he’s ready to train for a little while.

Maybe you can try giving your bird a nice long cuddle session and then train? Or maybe train and then snuggle?

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
🌟 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓵𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽〘F Lutino Budgie〙🌟
✈️ 𝙅𝙪𝙣𝙞𝙤𝙧〘M Cinn-Turq-Pied-Spang Kakariki〙✈️
How do I make my birds MORE snuggly, lol? I love how explorative and interested Gremlin is in everything, but I want him to be snuggly, too, if possible. c:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
How do I make my birds MORE snuggly, lol? I love how explorative and interested Gremlin is in everything, but I want him to be snuggly, too, if possible. c:
I hear that kakarikis are very active. You might have to wait until she’s done being a baby and terrible two before she will snuggle.

My last Quaker was a pistol until she was about four. Then she settled down.

Most Reactions

Latest posts