How to cover double decker cage?

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
Hello, fellow parronts!

I'm here again because I've adopted yet another bird. His name is Ricky-Roo and he is a kakariki. He's about 4 years old and I'm so happy to have him. However . . . I seem to have gotten myself in a bit of a predicament.

I always cover my birds cages at night since it does tend to get a little bit cold in my room at night. And I do not want my birds getting sick due to the change in temparature so I cover it using a flat sheet, then two hoodies, then a heavy duty winter jacket. When I first got Rick he was being kept in a small bird cage that's about as big as a night stand since we got him on short notice. So I was able to cover the cage just fine, and on top of that we already had a duplex flight cage on the way. (64 inches tall, not even counting the storage space at the bottom.)

And that's what my problem is, how can I cover the double decker flight cage? I looked on amazon and other places to try and find a cover specifically for that but I could not find one.

Do you have any ideas of what I could do to keep my kids warm at night? Do you have any advice for Kakariki or conure owners?

Thanks,
-Kingsley & Ricky-Roo's caretaker.

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
Double decker cage cover?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I would reach out to someone that sews and give them the dimensions needed. It shouldnt be hard to make a cover and then you can pick what material and color/pattern you want.

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
I would reach out to someone that sews and give them the dimensions needed. It shouldnt be hard to make a cover and then you can pick what material and color/pattern you want.
Ok, thanks. I think I will make it myself then. :D

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
I have used a plain brown color bedsheet to cover the cage and use a laundry peg to close up the front. If the sheet is too big, just fold them up to make them smaller and shorter. Make sure to leave room for air. Dark color sheet will help to darken his sleeping area if the room has lights so your birdies can have a good rest.

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
I have used a plain brown color bedsheet to cover the cage and use a laundry peg to close up the front. If the sheet is too big, just fold them up to make them smaller and shorter. Make sure to leave room for air. Dark color sheet will help to darken his sleeping area if the room has lights so your birdies can have a good rest.
Okay, thank you!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
There used to be someone here who made custom cage covers; they even embroidered your birds’ names on them. Dunno what happened to them. A king size sheet should cover just about any amount of cage, and you can find cotton sheets relatively inexpensively at most home good stores!

If it’s cold in your room check for drafts. My office had a nasty one along the floor, but a roll of gaffer’s tape and some insulation (I think I just stuffed scrap fabric into the gap) sorted it out quickly.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
What kind of temperature drop are we talking about?

Place the bedsheet over the cage, back to front. If that covers both cages get /buy a like size bed blanket. If the side section are not covered, shift-up to a wider bed blanket.

If you need additional length, remember that most fabric shops (store front and Website) sell like material and you can shift your pattern based on what you need. Keep it simple as it just allows an easier on/off then a fitted cover.

Have fun with this!

FYI: As stated above, try to attempt to determine if you have drafts and if so, where they are. It is likely that your home temperature is set-back in the evening and back-up in the morning.

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Hey, everyone. My mom let me borrow her king sized sheet for the cage and it worked okay. However I was still worried that my birds were cold.

As for the temparature I have no control over it and no way to fix it so having a warm, breathable cage cover is a good solution since the temparature is fine during the day. I think I will make a customized double decker bird cage for the cage and embroider their names onto it as I think It will be a good idea.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of sewing pattern I should use or should I just wing it? I'm sure I could but it would be less stressful if I had a sewing pattern. And when I make it does anyone have an idea of a specific kind of fabric that I could use to do so? And any idea of how to make sure its breathable and warm and a little bit darker for my birdies?

Thanks,
-Caretaker of Ricky-Roo and Kingsley

Most Reactions