How to bond with a Kakariki.

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
Hello, I'm here again for the second day in a row. It's been about 3 months since I was last here and I was wondering if anyone had any advise with bonding with a kakariki since they do not particularily enjoy scritches.

Just a little bit of context: I got into researching birds about 10 months ago. 5 months ago I got a little Pineapple GCC named Kingsley, and not too long ago I adopted a kakariki named Ricky-Roo who needed a new home. It seems he came from a nice enough home and he is step up trained.

Now, when I was bonding with Kingsley, we mainly bonded over treats and scritches and so when my mom surprised me with adopting Ricky a day after I had met him and was talking about him non stop. The only problem with that was I had barely done any research and was honestly, not expecting that. And I have come to find out that kakarikis are not to fond of scritches. Rick makes this little whine/honk noise whenever my I accidentally do something he does not particularitly enjoy. Now, I have not touched his head, nor do I plan to after researching and finding out that kaks do not like scritches but that does throw of some of my ideas to bond with him.

How do I bond with a bird that does not enjoy scritches?

Thanks,
-Kingsley and Ricky-Roo's caretaker.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Well he likes treats, right? Try some trick training , with treat rewards. Its a great way to build a bond and communication with a parrot, and amaze you how smart they really are. Start simple, like spinning in place and go from there.

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
Well he likes treats, right? Try some trick training , with treat rewards. Its a great way to build a bond and communication with a parrot, and amaze you how smart they really are. Start simple, like spinning in place and go from there.
Okay, thanks. Will do.

Most Reactions

Latest posts