How to get my cockatiel to eat fruit

PoppytheCockatiel

Oct 31, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel Poppy
My bird, Poppy, is a 1-year old cockatiel. She was weaned off of formula kinda late. She started with Zupreem Cockatiel Food, the one with lots of colorful shapes. She only liked the banana shaped one. We then switched her to Lafeberā€™s parakeet food (because we also have a parakeet, and I figured theyā€™d eat the same thing) which she took immediately. The problem is, she hates mushy things. She doesnā€™t ever make pellet soup. She eats her pellets dry and then drinks water from the water bottle. She hates bananas, corn, fruit. Anything thatā€™s mushy. She doesnā€™t even like lettuce. When I gave her the fruit freeze dried, she does eat it, but only if I hand feed it to her. What should we do? I read that we should try and feed her a variety of different foods, but letā€™s face it, her favorite food is the Lafeber pellets. She loves it more than seeds (which we give her in a 20 to 80 ratio with 80% pellets). She does like nuts, too, but thatā€™s a treat.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
My Emerald show most interest in food from our plates. So to introduce anything new, we eat together making noises that it is so good, get her eyes widen in excitement. Then break the food into small bit 0.5cm and feed it to her beak. I also say Yummy Yummy Yummy before and during meal.

To sum up, these are my morning routine.....

1) create feeding party for the flock, birds usually eat what the other birds eat. She learns superfast watching other birds. But watching our family, she eat quite a variety.

2) teach a new command, Yummy, (or anything that means food) so she get stimulated

3) introduce new food, eat it loudly, from your plate, use the same plate every time

4) after she get excited, break a small bite size to feed her

5) I start from what I eat, fresh cucumber, fresh pumpkin seed, roasted pumpkin, ripe mango, boiled bean boiled pasta etc...

after tasting it and seeing it a couple of times, she might eventually recognize it in larger size, and much later on, she might recognizing it when it is in her plate.

Following this routine, we found that Emerald loves passion fruit and boiled jobs's tear. Her eyes lighted up and she remember it after tasting only once. These are her absolute favorites.

Have fun

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think this species in general is less into fruit.
Since you've done great getting them on pellets, they are getting needed nutrition.

Veggies are better anyway. Bell pepper, broccoli, peas. You can try those Veggies straws, they sell in bags for us humans. Mine like those.

OP
P

PoppytheCockatiel

Oct 31, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel Poppy
Since you've done great getting them on pellets, they are getting needed nutrition.

Veggies are better anyway. Bell pepper, broccoli, peas. You can try those Veggies straws, they sell in bags for us humans. Mine like those.
She hates mushy veggies too. So the parakeet, Jade, loves corn on the cob. Poppy hates it. At least she eats pellets. Jade eats anything but pellets since sheā€™s a seed junkie. So we gave up and give her Lafeber nutriberries.

OP
P

PoppytheCockatiel

Oct 31, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel Poppy
My Emerald show most interest in food from our plates. So to introduce anything new, we eat together making noises that it is so good, get her eyes widen in excitement. Then break the food into small bit 0.5cm and feed it to her beak. I also say Yummy Yummy Yummy before and during meal.

To sum up, these are my morning routine.....

1) create feeding party for the flock, birds usually eat what the other birds eat. She learns superfast watching other birds. But watching our family, she eat quite a variety.

2) teach a new command, Yummy, (or anything that means food) so she get stimulated

3) introduce new food, eat it loudly, from your plate, use the same plate every time

4) after she get excited, break a small bite size to feed her

5) I start from what I eat, fresh cucumber, fresh pumpkin seed, roasted pumpkin, ripe mango, boiled bean boiled pasta etc...

after tasting it and seeing it a couple of times, she might eventually recognize it in larger size, and much later on, she might recognizing it when it is in her plate.

Following this routine, we found that Emerald loves passion fruit and boiled jobs's tear. Her eyes lighted up and she remember it after tasting only once. These are her absolute favorites.

Have fun
Funny thing about Poppy. Sheā€™s not very interested in eating what weā€™re eating. šŸ˜‚ Although whenever I hand feed Poppy, Jade the parakeet rushes over looking for the same food.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
āœ»Csillam the rescued budgie
āœ»Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
āœ»Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
āœ»RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
āœ»RIP -Sunny the budgie

I agree on this one, cockatiels aren't much of fruit eating birds.

You can try offering apples or berries, if the bird doesn't want it, oh well. Try offering leafy greens first, our Archie was also incredibly picky on veggies/food in general. He did love spinach and lettuce, broccoli not so much, peas and corn seldom..

Linda lee

Oct 30, 2021
Santa cruz CA
Parrots
Had a sun conure. Fed her too many pine nuts. She already had a sinus problem. Nuts are too rich for birds. I or 2 max. It's like dairy for people. The nuts make mucus in the birds too.
My bird, Poppy, is a 1-year old cockatiel. She was weaned off of formula kinda late. She started with Zupreem Cockatiel Food, the one with lots of colorful shapes. She only liked the banana shaped one. We then switched her to Lafeberā€™s parakeet food (because we also have a parakeet, and I figured theyā€™d eat the same thing) which she took immediately. The problem is, she hates mushy things. She doesnā€™t ever make pellet soup. She eats her pellets dry and then drinks water from the water bottle. She hates bananas, corn, fruit. Anything thatā€™s mushy. She doesnā€™t even like lettuce. When I gave her the fruit freeze dried, she does eat it, but only if I hand feed it to her. What should we do? I read that we should try and feed her a variety of different foods, but letā€™s face it, her favorite food is the Lafeber pellets. She loves it more than seeds (which we give her in a 20 to 80 ratio with 80% pellets). She does like nuts, too, but thatā€™s a treat.
All my birds love fuji apples. I slice and peel them. They aren't mushy.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
My BB isn't a big veggie or fruit eater either but he does like to eat from my plate picking at this and that. I also feed him and Amy stuff from Bird Street Bistro. They make several varieties all natural/organic stuff. BB loves apple and spice and a veggie one. When he munches I can hear him chirp like he is saying MMMMMmm..usually cleans his plate!

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts