How to protect laptop cords/cables etc from beaks

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Maybe you need to take a trip to the store and get some leather stripes for Lola! ;)

Safe for her to chew and "cord like"!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
I tend to hide all my cords under/behind things, but that just leaves the keyboard open to exploration LOL. Bosley can dislodge a key in a second flat so I've found out.
So the rule became, no beak around laptop at all!!!

OP
NeverBroken

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
Today she has been content to just play on her cage, the one time she came down to say hello I pulled the cord out so it wasn't in her reach. She is really so good at just amusing herself, it's amazing.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
I tend to hide all my cords under/behind things, but that just leaves the keyboard open to exploration LOL. Bosley can dislodge a key in a second flat so I've found out.
So the rule became, no beak around laptop at all!!!

Yes, Alice too! I've had several experiences of chasing her down to extract a key from her beak. She looks so triumphant as well! We're a lot more careful now...

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
One time I happened to eye some electric cords dangling from the wall's outlet, and noticed how the bulb of the plug kind of looked like a snake's head, or a raised cobra's hood.

So I got this idea: how about make sleeves for cords that look like snakes? Birds are instinctively scared of snakes, so they won't go near those cords.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Maybe you need to take a trip to the store and get some leather stripes for Lola! ;)

Safe for her to chew and "cord like"!

This is a really, really good idea! A while back I was thinking of making me a leather necklace so my bird can chew on that instead of my cotton shirts (I'm afraid of cotton ingestion) and the cables of my mouse/keyboard.

Where could I buy strips of safe leather? Petco and Petsmart don't carry them?

Ps. Sorry to hijack this thread. Sorry to hear about your cable-chomping friend. I know it all too well! What's helped me is teaching my bird 'NO' and he stops what he is doing. Problem is he gets right back to it a few minutes later so it requires constant supervision :/

christinereed

Mar 13, 2013
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Emily, dbl yellow Amazon
We have plastic tubing around some cords (such as Emmy's light), but I can't have her on the couch while I'm working any more. She likes to pull the control key off the laptop keyboard. We are down to one laptop (mine had problems) and I need it for work. Sometimes, I have to stop and just pay attention to her for awhile. I think that's what she really needs when she gets into mischief -- attention.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
OP
NeverBroken

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
Boom-Boom: not hijacking at all, I was going to ask the same thing actually as I hit up Michael's last night and all the leather cords I found were dyed, said nothing of what they were made from/with, etc. I was looking for foraging stuff too and had the same problem- like nothing at Michaels gives any clue as to how things are made or with what... ingredients, for lack of a better word. They only say where things are from :/ I was so frustrated I left my cart of questionable stuff and didn't buy anything.

So- where does everyone buy their toy making supplies? If I may hijack my own thread for a minute :) It's so hard to figure out what's safe or not....and Lola needs some toys asap! Thank you for that link Monica, looking through it now and they have some great stuff it seems- but if anyone has actual stores to go to that'd be awesome too!

She only had one toy in her cage when I got her, guess they never played with her much. We bought her two toys at petsmart that have wood/plastic/rope to chew on, but I think she needs more foraging opportunities. I made her a foraging toy today out of a cardboard box, balls of newspaper, and treats hidden in coffee filters. That kept her busy all of 10 minutes, lol.

And what are these puzzles people refer to??

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I typically order from MySafeBirdStore, but I hope to make some purchases from a few other stores, soon!

Most Reactions

Latest posts