masterg174

Sep 17, 2023
Parrots
Dommi (Cockatiel)
Hi everyone,

My pet cockatiel Dommi has gotten into the habit lately of chewing cables at my desk or even lately flying down onto the floor of my living room and chewing cables near my TV cabinet.

I can solve some cables by tying them up high but some need to be on the desk such as my laptop docking station cable.

I kind of rushed in And bought this here (link).

But now Iā€™m worried the material may not be safe or could have unsafe polymers or colours etc. I think itā€™s made of P.E.T material, but the listing doesnā€™t provide much info.

I just donā€™t want anything toxic for Dommi.

Iā€™ve already purchased the above, but my other thought is:
Something like this (link) or Perhaps something like this.

Here is some of the cables for reference that I want to protect.

My other issue is not just the material, but polymers or chemicals used to colour it etc.

IMG_1225.jpeg

Thanks
masterg174

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So the only thing that is going to defeat a determined parrot from chewing cables is a metal covering. All your examples above are plastics or silicones and would succumb to a determined attack. If I had to choose, the silicone is the one I would pick.

You can try getting some metal sheathed BX cable, cut a length , remove the wires from it and thread yours through. Thats the difficult part.

If that won't work, try looking up cable trays or wire raceways - these can be solid plastic, covered trays with snap on covers, and a parrot would have to be super duper, uber, determined to make much of a mark on them.

Wire raceway is also a good term to search on.
Wire raceway

1LER9_AW01

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With a determined Parrot, I like metal conduit (electrical) as it is easy to obtain and cut. Ugly as sin, but even a determined Amazon has not been able to access the cables!

OP
masterg174

masterg174

Sep 17, 2023
Parrots
Dommi (Cockatiel)
With a determined Parrot, I like metal conduit (electrical) as it is easy to obtain and cut. Ugly as sin, but even a determined Amazon has not been able to access the cables!

So the only thing that is going to defeat a determined parrot from chewing cables is a metal covering. All your examples above are plastics or silicones and would succumb to a determined attack. If I had to choose, the silicone is the one I would pick.

You can try getting some metal sheathed BX cable, cut a length , remove the wires from it and thread yours through. Thats the difficult part.

If that won't work, try looking up cable trays or wire raceways - these can be solid plastic, covered trays with snap on covers, and a parrot would have to be super duper, uber, determined to make much of a mark on them.

Wire raceway is also a good term to search on.
Wire raceway

1LER9_AW01

Thanks for your replies! I do agree that something metal would be best to 100% permanently protect the cables from chewing through.

Metal conduit might work well but probably wouldnā€™t have as much flexibility whereas I think from what I can see of the bx cables, they seem a bit flexible.

Flexibility is ideal for my laptop docking station cable for example so that it could bend around to my laptop.

If the price is reasonable the metal conduit could be suited to anything permanently in the same position that doesnā€™t move, but yes itā€™s not the most aesthetically pleasing.

Either way - my main concern was a safety issue. I donā€™t mind if Dommi eventually chews through the protectors and I have to replace it. My thought now is maybe I could get the silicone in addition to the PET braided sleeves I have already bought and put both on. Then I could just see how it goes. Or if the bx cabling is not too expensive maybe I just go that route.

The problem is I donā€™t want Dommi to actually chew through to the connectors of the cable, as aside from an electrical issue, there is the issue of the copper which could be harmful to him if Ingested. Actually my understanding is this could kill a small parrot very quickly due to their metabolisms.

In any case, you have given me some options to consider so thank you.

Cheers
masterg174

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Can you also teach him not to chew through cables? I have to do this with mine. I will never trust them without supervision but if I'm in the same room then I stop them chewing and they mostly ignore the wires now

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
All the advise above is great I just wanted to say the crest on that cockatiel is sublime! That be some nice sable cockatiel.

Most Reactions

Latest posts