How to tell if Budgie is just not into cuddling or being near or with their human...

Fatima I

Feb 23, 2023
Parrots
Budgie
I have a budgie, he is has been with me for 4 months and he still very afraid of my hands. Been working on it but not much has really changed.
He will eat treats and seeds from my hand by hopping on and he is fine and chill with that. But he is afraid of my hands without food or treats...which doesn't make much sense to me lol..they are the same hands. But anyways..i was wondering if maybe he might be one those birds that just doesn't like being touched or held or cuddled with or by humans? How can i tell that? Or is it still just too soon to tell? He likes me around and i spend a lot of time next to him by his gym and he chirps and chatters with me. comes to my face sometimes and doesn't mind me around him...but HE HATES my hands :'( I really want to hold him and be with him and hang out with him but he kinda just wants to be left alone ?. Only happy with my company?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I have a budgie, he is has been with me for 4 months and he still very afraid of my hands. Been working on it but not much has really changed.
He will eat treats and seeds from my hand by hopping on and he is fine and chill with that. But he is afraid of my hands without food or treats...which doesn't make much sense to me lol..they are the same hands. But anyways..i was wondering if maybe he might be one those birds that just doesn't like being touched or held or cuddled with or by humans? How can i tell that? Or is it still just too soon to tell? He likes me around and i spend a lot of time next to him by his gym and he chirps and chatters with me. comes to my face sometimes and doesn't mind me around him...but HE HATES my hands :'( I really want to hold him and be with him and hang out with him but he kinda just wants to be left alone ?. Only happy with my company?
Good progress! Don’t be impatient, not all budgies will want to be pet, I’ve owned 5 in all and only one allowed petting.
Budgies don’t even touch other budgies much, they preen each others heads sometime but not very often.
Four months is a relatively short amount of time to a bird and if he’s already stepping up that’s fantastic.
I would continue feeding him with your hands and working with him on stepping up he’s making good progress already.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I would say that even very tame budgies do not like to be petted, cuddled or held other than to perch on hands they trust. Any efforts to do more will probably result in your budgie flying away from your hands or nipping at them. Some budgies will let you scratch their faces but not most of them. This doesn't mean your budgie can't grow to welcome perching on your hands but it will take time and it you try to make more contact it can set back the process.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi there. What both members above are saying is right on the money. Parrots rate of acceptance of change or new things is GLACIAL when compared to our quick monkey brains. And budgies are nervous dispositioned too. The main thing to keep in mind when working with your budgie is - does this action or thing build trust or take away from it? Having him sit on your hand while giving him a treat - trust builder. Trying to MAKE him stay longer - trust buster. Chasing him to get him back into the cage - trust buster.

Be patient and expect nothing more, that way you will be pleasantly surprised if and when progress is made.

OP
F

Fatima I

Feb 23, 2023
Parrots
Budgie
Oh ok. that makes sense. I thought they did like the contact. Ok thats fine. I"ll continue to just put my hand in his view and only when he is ready go closer and closer if he allows. Thank you all for the insight and advice.

Most Reactions