How To Trust?

pepperudacockateil

Sep 9, 2021
Parrots
I have one cockateil 2 months when I got him and its been one week already
Hello I am a new cockateil owner about one week already hes 2 months old the seller told me and recently I play cockateil sounds to attract him to me because of course we are still in the trusting stage. But hes been showing signs that he really wants to have a companion another bird and google has been confusing me saying like you should get another cockateil for your bird so that they have company and you shoudnt get another cocketeil because they will keep on fighting because jealousy so I hope people here could help me in the reply section on should I get another cockateil or not? please reply on this thread or reply thanks
7BFFA979-11EA-4ACE-A9C7-A9BA4364F45E.jpeg

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Hello and welcome!!

What a gorgeous young cockatiel! The question you're asking is a hard question to answer.
You're having your babe for a very very short time. One week is practically nothing to a parrot. Essentially they need at least 3 weeks to understand a routine of the home and around even 3 months to accept a new home.

Your cockatiel is probably missing their cage mates, and playing cockatiel sounds can make matters worse. If you wish to bond with your bird I HIGHLY suggest not to play any kind of cockatiel sounds. They will get confused and keep searching for the bird. Instead, give the bird time and first step is usually coaxing with treats. By earning the bird's trust you don't force them, but rather lure them to you. They will always want company, and since you're the only one around, very likely they will stick to you.

A good suggestion I've read on this forum is never get another bird for your bird. You can never guarantee they will actually like each other. Very young/baby parrots essentially will go along, but once they're adults you cannot be for sure, however there could be a higher chance they will still like each other since they were babies/very young.

Another thing that might happen, that you might not like, is getting another bird and they both bond immediately and keep you out. They won't want anything to do with you. This is very likely to happen to shy and wild birds which are not tame yet and which have no trust in you.

Since your cockatiel is suuuper young, they will sooner get used to your presence. They should stop actively searching for another bird. Everything is so new! They just want that comfort of another bird. Just be nice, slow and gentle with your new bird. Move slowly around them, give loots of treats. Before you know it, it will start coming to you. It also really depends what kind of relationship do you want from the bird. Do you want to keep the bird just to have it or bond with the bird (in a healthy way), have a tame bird that will stick with you? If it's the latter, for sure keep the bird alone with you for at least a few months, and maaaybe then try to decide if getting a new one would be possible.

Even when acquiring a new one, they must be quarantined for at least 45 days to rule out any illnesses. This means in separate room, no contact between the birds. You can use that time to tame the other bird and then later on introduce them. If your current bird has a strong bond with you, it is possible it will keep that strong bond even if the new bird is here. I've seen many cases where the new bird usually follows your first one, but your first one will follow you.

I think the ideal time would be around 6 months to have the bird to trust you and accept you. By then you can decide will you add more or not - but I think that keeping a pair would be very nice (not necessarily different sexes, should be avoided unless you want to breed)

Give the new one quite some time, my personal suggestion is to wait a bit before jumping in and buying another one.

OP
pepperudacockateil

pepperudacockateil

Sep 9, 2021
Parrots
Thank you for your response!!! now I really understand because my dad was really saying my birds need a companion and a friend I stopped recently playing the sounds but sometimes does it harm the trust when I touch my bird he isnt really into me yet and I really get impatient and touch him but sometimes I bring him out for the whole afternoon to walk around because I havent bought him any toys which he shows hes really bored I bought online and its been a week and none of the toys came so sometimes since I let him out, I need to force him to go back inside of his cagenight because my mom doesnlike waking up to mess and poop on the floor and I really think its harming him when I touch him and hold him I am really having a hard time with helping him trust me how can you reply I realñy need tips for him to trust me for a long time

deac20af-63b7-4289-95a1-101afe07763d-jpeg.30593

For some reason my bird is like flying around the floor chirping I mean since he is still young bird, he cannot fly yet so he only flies around the floor while chirping what does that mean does he want attension? does he want another bird? (But I cannot give him ancompanion) what does he want???

Last edited by a moderator:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
You can for sure break the trust if you keep touching your bird when it obviously doesn't want to be touched. As I mentioned before, best thing to do is to lure the bird with treats. Find out what does it like the most, for example millet, maybe some fruits like apples or grapes, etc... Don't feed it human processed food! Our cockatiel loved cooked rice, that was something we could offer him (we eat very little salt so he could eat it)

First thing I'd like to address is that it doesn't sound normal to me at all that a 2 month old cockatiel cannot fly. Are by any chance their wing feathers clipped (cut)? The bird at this age should be able to fly normally. If their wing feathers are all still there and not clipped, but they still cannot fly, please have your parents make an appointment with an avian vet to address what is the issue and why the bird cannot fly.

It is possible the bird is stressed while outside, especially if it cannot get into the places where it wants to go. Instead of touching (grabbing) are you able to have him step up to you? Keep the physical touches to a minimum at the start, instead just offer him some yummy treats in the beginning. If you absolutely must catch him, rather do it with a towel (closest colour to him, without stripes) so the bird learns that towel=catching, but even this should be as a last resort if you really MUST get him and put him into the cage. Once you do that, make sure you praise him and offer him a treat. You want to disassociate your hands with grabbing. Instead see if the bird steps up to you, if not, see if you can lure him to the hand. Don't force the bird - this is very important. Lure the bird to you, don't chase him. If he's fluttering away from your hand, then stop.

If the bird is terrified of hands, I suggest start feeding him treats, even while the bird is in the cage. Actually the bird should've stayed a few days in the cage, without being touched so the bird learns that their cage is a safe place, it is their home. Never grab or scare the bird while it is in the cage.

As for the chirping and whistling while waddling around - If it sounds like a happy chirping and whistling, don't worry. But take it slow - Having a non tame bird is no easy feat! First we must understand the bird's needs, and that would be security. They are prey animals and we are predators in their eyes. As I mentioned before, they need A LOT of time to accept their new surrounding and to feel secure. Patience, patience, patience. The trust will not be built over night, it's really a bit by bit, and it might take months before the bird starts feeling comfortable and trusting the family.

MrLaurieKeats

Jan 4, 2019
Media
Albums
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Fang the cockatiel, Valentino the budgie (aka Fang’s wingman)
Please do slow down, take a step back, and try to see things from your bird’s point of view. Cockatiels in the wild are prey animals and they have evolved over millions of years to be that way. You’ve only been together for just over a week and your bird doesn’t yet know that he can trust you. Give him time for him to settle in, it may take weeks or even months but with patience on your part that trust and bond between you will develop gradually.

I wish the two of you a long and happy life together :)

OP
pepperudacockateil

pepperudacockateil

Sep 9, 2021
Parrots
Hello thank you for replying. I am very grateful that I joined this forums because only now, I realized my mistakes and how my bird could recognizes me. also for your concern Skarila he can fly I was just on saying it properly he can fly down but he cant fly up

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Hello thank you for replying. I am very grateful that I joined this forums because only now, I realized my mistakes and how my bird could recognizes me. also for your concern Skarila he can fly I was just on saying it properly he can fly down but he cant fly up
That's it, almost sounds like clipped wings, but I cannot tell without pictures of it's wings. A bird should be able to fly up, even from the floor. Birds with clipped wings can usually "glide", but cannot fly upwards. A clear picture from the back of the bird even while perching is fine, we should be able to see if the primary feathers are still there or not.

Most Reactions

Latest posts