I can't beleive I fell for it!

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Hey Everyone,

As many of you know I am adopting a Green Wing Macaw and I pick her up tomorrow. Quincy is my CAG who I've had since he was 3 months old. He is now 13. He is going through a lot of changes right now in "his room" which is the dining room. We put up the new Macaw cage Friday night then finished the room on Saturday. Including bringing in his play pen (he hasn't used in a couple of years) into the room. I also have the new dog crate for the Macaw set up in the room. So lots and lots of changes going on. I knew he would start showing signs of stress with all these changes, but I'm not sure if what happened is because of the change or not.

Yesterday, I got him out of his cage at work and I accidently shocked him. He began to get really aggressive and striking at me and wouldn't get on my hand to go home. I eventually got him in his carry cage after a few minutes of coaxing. He was better at home but I can tell he was still a little on edge.

This morning he was still continuing to be aggressive and was at the point of striking at me again whenever I came near him. He finally innocently came to his perch and put his claw up. He wanted me to pick him up. So I did. I can't believe I fell for that! He bit me twice. :eek: Darn little booger. He tricked me! LOL! Anyway, I put him back in his cage and closed the door. I was able to go up to him a few minutes later with out him being aggressive. But his aggressions has been very speratic (?).

What I'm trying to figure out is, do you guys think he is doing this because of all the change or because of me accidently shocking him yesterday. It didn't really start until after the shock. But I know he is going through a lot of changes, so I'm not convinced it's the shock causing all this aggression. I let him stay at home today rather then bringing him into the store. I think it will help him adjust to all these changes in his room. He seemed happy to stay home today in either case!

It will probably get worse before it gets better as we bring Sinbad home tomorrow. I know I just need to give Quincy time and it will get better. I've decided that if he is even remotely aggressive, I'm not going to attempt to have him step up on me. I feel like that was just a big "duh"! I will try talking to him and giving him treats and when he calms down and really wants to come see Mama, I will try again!

It goes to show, even though you have a bird for 13 years the challenges never end. But they are so worth it! :D

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Ouch:eek: for you and Ouch for your bird:eek:. I hate static shocks they hurt but then so do parrot bites:D. It is probably the combination of things. Hopefully once things settle down he will get back to his usual loveable self.:)

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Aliray - I think you are right. I think it was a combination of everything going on. Poor little guys. I'm hopeful he is back to his loveable self sooner then later! For my sake and his! :D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They're unpredictable!!! That's why you can not trust them on your shoulders 100% or anywhere close to your face. I had a customer who had her grey since he was a baby and she had him for over 30 years and he bit her lip off, she's a nurse and had to hold her lip up while driving into ER to have it stitch back up. She showed me her scars. She still loves him dearly but won't do that again.

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
Mikey - Unpredictable is right! Ouch! I have been bit on the lip before (not bit off though). Right before my wedding. I guess that was my wedding present from him. Told me how he felt about it, I guess! :D LOL! I have carried Quincy on my shoulder in the past, but really try not to do it as much anymore. I do admit that I do give in. Bad habits are hard to break! :rolleyes: But I'll keep trying!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I sometimes carry Rosie on my shoulder, but I would never do so with Kenji. Rosie can't do that much damage with her beak while Kinji could really hurt me.

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
The good news is Quincy was in a much better mood tonight. He stepped right up and we hung out and I made him some scrambled eggs. He was very excited! :)

Talulah_Bear

Apr 13, 2013
Minnesota
Parrots
I have one Congo African Grey parrot. I bought him before he hatched. I happened to be at the breeders right after he did hatch!

I recently rescued a neglected grey. I believe he is a Congo.
Yeah, it sounds like too much stimulation and stress. Is there any way you could put him in a quiet area with soft music (on low) so he can decompress a bit?

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
Talulah - Soft music is a great idea. He was home by himself all day today and I think just having a quiet day at home helped a lot. He was in a much better mood when I came home. He is settled down for the night. I may play some music for him tomorrow to continue to help with the stress. The house will be quiet most of the day as we will be out picking up Sindbad tomorrow.

Most Reactions

Latest posts