I had my conure for around 3 months and I feel like im not making any progress on making him trust me.

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Hi everyone, I got my green cheeked conurre about 3 months ago and i feel like im not making any progress on the trust building.

He will sometimes eat from my finger but hes still pretty scared, when i put my finger through the bars with food or a treat it takes him some time to come get it.

I also think it maybe because of his diet. Ive been feeding him seeds the whole time snd this week I will be picking up some pellets i ordered online.

Im really new to this and im not quize sure on what to do, im trying my best.

If anyone would be kind, whats the best methods to use to gain my birds trust.
Or tips. I would greatly appreciate that

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Welcome. We're happy you're here and asking questions to do your very best with your new birdie. That's the best kind of attitude, and we'll do what we can to help, so don't be afraid to ask. We have some wonderful, knowledgeable, helpful members, happy to help.

Here's a link that addresses your initial question that's a great place to start:
https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Bluberry - Female Parakeet
Mr. Squiggles - Male Parakeet
3 months is just dipping your toes in. I am 3 years (almost) in and i have make little to NO progress with my birds. Just go on her time. Take it as slow as the bird needs

also some birds JUST ARENT TAME. The mindset of "making them like you" also doesn't work, They HATE that energy

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
One of my Cockatiels (Pinky) took 2 years to get use to my hands.
She liked my face (no accounting for taste) and would groom my eyebrows and mustache.
I just kept putting my had closer to my face and she got use to it over time.

Most Reactions