Hi updated on my conure :3

Peanutisawesome

Apr 3, 2024
Parrots
soon but not sure which one :3
He was doing pretty well and i think i gained his trust :3 but whenever im writing something with a pen he bites it and like moves his head up and down quickly and I've read its like a hormonal thing but he is only 2-3 months old so I don't think it could be it? idk maybe he hates pens but besides that i got him to like my famiy members so that's epic

Attachments

• IMG20240421154749.jpg
    IMG20240421154749.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG20240421090437.jpg
    IMG20240421090437.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 4

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
2-3 months old is really young & at this age birds will start to bite everything to explore, your fingers included, holes in your clothes, etc. because their beak is literally their hand. It's normal & they will grow out of the bitey phase in a couple months as they get older. I went though it recently myself w/my baby Grey. She drove me nuts for at least a month at around 4 mo. old because she all the sudden would bite everything & my fingers every day. It wasn't aggressive & rarely broke the skin, but it def. hurt a lot & was super pinchy & (ot gonna' lie) super annoying! Haha. She stopped doing it though after awhile (thank goodness)! For the record, things like pens & stuff even w/older birds can be things they don't like & never will. Cell phones too. None of mine like my cellphone & get annoyed at taking pics or vids. If the bird is very bonded to you as a baby, you can try to convey a message to it that the biting isn't acceptable behavior by making a kind of squawk/squeal when it does it to you. This conveys what they did caused pain-as babies have no idea how hard they are biting. They have no concept that a finger, etc. isn't something that they can bite as hard as a toy. They need to learn this as youngsters & normally in the wild they will learn it from their parents/flock leader. Give a little squawk & place the bird off of you-not back in the cage, but on a playstand or wherever so it can learn that it's not the behavior to do if they want to be on you. They will start learning this pretty quickly if you are consistent. Mine did, but she's a Grey-though I believe all birds are super smart. Young birds are like young children & need guidance to be shown right from wrong. Give it a try & be patient. The behavior should get better after a month or so.

OP
Peanutisawesome

Peanutisawesome

Apr 3, 2024
Parrots
soon but not sure which one :3
2-3 months old is really young & at this age birds will start to bite everything to explore, your fingers included, holes in your clothes, etc. because their beak is literally their hand. It's normal & they will grow out of the bitey phase in a couple months as they get older. I went though it recently myself w/my baby Grey. She drove me nuts for at least a month at around 4 mo. old because she all the sudden would bite everything & my fingers every day. It wasn't aggressive & rarely broke the skin, but it def. hurt a lot & was super pinchy & (ot gonna' lie) super annoying! Haha. She stopped doing it though after awhile (thank goodness)! For the record, things like pens & stuff even w/older birds can be things they don't like & never will. Cell phones too. None of mine like my cellphone & get annoyed at taking pics or vids. If the bird is very bonded to you as a baby, you can try to convey a message to it that the biting isn't acceptable behavior by making a kind of squawk/squeal when it does it to you. This conveys what they did caused pain-as babies have no idea how hard they are biting. They have no concept that a finger, etc. isn't something that they can bite as hard as a toy. They need to learn this as youngsters & normally in the wild they will learn it from their parents/flock leader. Give a little squawk & place the bird off of you-not back in the cage, but on a playstand or wherever so it can learn that it's not the behavior to do if they want to be on you. They will start learning this pretty quickly if you are consistent. Mine did, but she's a Grey-though I believe all birds are super smart. Young birds are like young children & need guidance to be shown right from wrong. Give it a try & be patient. The behavior should get better after a month or so.
Thank you! :]

Most Reactions