I have a huge decision to make, need help!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I have an American Toad named Froggo that my sister wild caught and kept as a pet, however she neglected it and I now have it.

The question is: Should I release her in the spring?

Here in Vermont, it is legal to keep a wild American toad as a pet, provided you don't keep more than 2. I only have one and would NEVER take an American Toad out of the wild unless it was severely injured. I also read a couple articles saying American Toads can lose their hibernation cycle if they don't hibernate one year. She has not this year, she was given to me too late to release.

My dad would like me to release her into the wild, but I'm not going to if there's a medium-large chance she'll die this winter. I would also like to release her but if I dont, she'll have a bioactive 40 gallon breeder tank as her home, with plenty of gutloaded crickets and other prey.

Share your opinions, please!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I will look into it. But you can do adjustments/ transition

Fence off a large area outside, with some shade some sunny patches provide, provide a tray with water, a couple of toad homes with deep leaf litter, and offer support feeds.
I have free wild garden toads and near patio toads . I put out toad shallow dishes of water and toad homes. They seem to very much stay in the same small area. I see the same ones for a couple of years. One extra large one would come in cravk into my garage during the day and go out at night, saw that one for 4 years. Onve I didn't see it anymore I filled in the crack

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I'm not sure if I can fence off an area. My dad thinks I should cold release her and anything that says otherwise is BS, so I don't think he'd even let me make that:(

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
toads are not good at traveling and relocation.
So they have to have a water source and a shelter spot to call home

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I know, I'm just worried that she's lost some instincts, she's been in captivity for almost 2 years now, and came into captivity as a young juvi toad.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ok herp conservation people say it's best to keep as pet now. Because yes, will not have foraging knowledge . Its very hard for them to be relocated, tgey live their whole lives in a small area where tgey know how to navigate to water, food and shelter. Lastly bacteria in store bought crickets abd food , thst is now part of their natural flora could harm other toads snd frogs.

Said can live up to 40 years as a pet!!! Though most don't. And the ones turned in from dog and cat encounter that survived and are ambassador animals each have their own unique personality. They hope it has a lovely life with you.

But very strongly want the message out not to remove from wild as they play a vital role, keeping down mosquitoes and ticks and stabilize, part if the web of the ecosystem. and are declining and disappearing..

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
So now let's see a pic of happy Froggo!

May she/he have a long happy life under your care!
I don't have a pic right now, but stay tuned!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Maybe you could find some wildlife centers/rescues that can take care of frogs/toads? idk, I have no experience with toads/frogs:(

Or just keep her, I think it'll be better for her.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Maybe you could find some wildlife centers/rescues that can take care of frogs/toads? idk, I have no experience with toads/frogs:(

Or just keep her, I think it'll be better for her.
I really don't think so...

We have VINS here, but I'm really not sure they could take her or giver her better care than I could (just because I know her best), and they don't have a toad exibit or anything...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I haven’t read the whole thread, but I was very into frogs and toads as a kid and have some substantial veterinary background. I kept a California newt for nine years on live food and reptilian until it was VERY old and big.

The ground is FROZEN where you and I live and if you release this toad it will be frozen. I would make the choice to keep the toad and feed it on crickets, mealworms, cut earthworms. I would buy a reptile calcium and vitamin supplement to dust the food in before giving to the toad.

You can find lots of info about toad keeping on this website. I think a terrarium filled with soil and maybe moss and a saucer of water to soak in would be mostly what you want.

I knew people in Wi who kept toads loose in their basement (old farmhouse) eating spiders and bugs through the winter and the toad did fine.

But if you release the toad now, it will freeze. Toads burrow well into the soil in fall before it freezes. Being exposed would kill this toad. Best to keep it inside yourself or bring it to a wildlife center if one exists. Maybe you could find someone who keeps herp’s at home and they could care for it easily.

AnatandGiaco

Jul 30, 2021
Under no circumstances should you release the toad in this winter cold. Deciding on whether to release it in the spring depends on whether you have the time to care for it and you can provide the conditions that it needs to thrive. Is it eating now? If it is, you should have no problem keeping it in captivity. If it isn't eating and you can't coax it to eat, put it in it's container into a cool place without exposing it to freezing temperatures.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I haven’t read the whole thread, but I was very into frogs and toads as a kid and have some substantial veterinary background. I kept a California newt for nine years on live food and reptilian until it was VERY old and big.

The ground is FROZEN where you and I live and if you release this toad it will be frozen. I would make the choice to keep the toad and feed it on crickets, mealworms, cut earthworms. I would buy a reptile calcium and vitamin supplement to dust the food in before giving to the toad.

You can find lots of info about toad keeping on this website. I think a terrarium filled with soil and maybe moss and a saucer of water to soak in would be mostly what you want.

I knew people in Wi who kept toads loose in their basement (old farmhouse) eating spiders and bugs through the winter and the toad did fine.

But if you release the toad now, it will freeze. Toads burrow well into the soil in fall before it freezes. Being exposed would kill this toad. Best to keep it inside yourself or bring it to a wildlife center if one exists. Maybe you could find someone who keeps herp’s at home and they could care for it easily.
Under no circumstances should you release the toad in this winter cold. Deciding on whether to release it in the spring depends on whether you have the time to care for it and you can provide the conditions that it needs to thrive. Is it eating now? If it is, you should have no problem keeping it in captivity. If it isn't eating and you can't coax it to eat, put it in it's container into a cool place without exposing it to freezing temperatures.
I know not to release it in the winter.

Most Reactions

Latest posts