I just got a budgie and I want to learn a little more about hand taming

MertyMan

Nov 15, 2022
Parrots
Budgie (Bandit)
So I have a blue budgie named Bandit, and we got him a couple days ago, he is a baby and I've been slowing introducing my hand into his cage and he recently started preening while my hand is in the cage. he was doing it while I was just in the room with him. but I was curious as to if him preening while my hand in the cage is a good sign of him getting used to it being there. and if that's kind of a next stage of taming :)

Thanks all :)

Edit: I appreciate all the responses. I have taken all the tips into account and I have made some large progress with bandit. he got a very large millet pay-out and I have attached a photo of the progress we have made :)

Attachments

• 316160437_2064801077063913_7166109293113405868_n.jpg
    316160437_2064801077063913_7166109293113405868_n.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Preening is something birds do when they’re relaxed. If your bird is preening when you have your hand in the cage that shows it’s calm. That’s a good sign.

OP
M

MertyMan

Nov 15, 2022
Parrots
Budgie (Bandit)
A very good sign. See if he will take a favorite treat from your hand too.
I've been able to feed him millet while holding it, but he is struggling to go much further than that, he wont get on my hand for it. But he has nibbled my finger a couple times, I don't think its him trying to hurt me, maybe just exploring

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think you should keep doing what you are doing. Showing the bird your good intentions towards it is the first step towards gaining its trust. Also, if he’d meant to hurt you, he could have. Maybe he is grooming you or otherwise getting to know you.

Jun 1, 2022
Media
Previous-Sydney, Australia current-Utah, USA
Parrots
Senegal parrot(male)Percival
Green budgie(male) Buckbeak
Clear wing budgie(female) Rowena
So I have a blue budgie named Bandit, and we got him a couple days ago, he is a baby and I've been slowing introducing my hand into his cage and he recently started preening while my hand is in the cage. he was doing it while I was just in the room with him. but I was curious as to if him preening while my hand in the cage is a good sign of him getting used to it being there. and if that's kind of a next stage of taming :)

Thanks all :)
Sound like that’s a great start! I’ve done this many times now and once you think bandit has fully settled in you can start feeding him by hand I would start with I stick of millet and wait for him to come to you, once he’s fully comfortable eating from you you can make it a little more challenging so he would have to step onto your finger to reach the food, once he’s comfortable doing that you can bring him in and out of the cage while on your finger, hope this helps and depending on his personality will determine how long it will take, my first budgie was super outgoing as was fully tame in 5 days! My second was on the shy side and took longer than a week, trust your instincts and you’ll be fine!

OP
M

MertyMan

Nov 15, 2022
Parrots
Budgie (Bandit)
Sound like that’s a great start! I’ve done this many times now and once you think bandit has fully settled in you can start feeding him by hand I would start with I stick of millet and wait for him to come to you, once he’s fully comfortable eating from you you can make it a little more challenging so he would have to step onto your finger to reach the food, once he’s comfortable doing that you can bring him in and out of the cage while on your finger, hope this helps and depending on his personality will determine how long it will take, my first budgie was super outgoing as was fully tame in 5 days! My second was on the shy side and took longer than a week, trust your instincts and you’ll be f

Preening is something birds do when they’re relaxed. If your bird is preening when you have your hand in the cage that shows it’s calm. That’s a good sign.
I think you should keep doing what you are doing. Showing the bird your good intentions towards it is the first step towards gaining its trust. Also, if he’d meant to hurt you, he could have. Maybe he is grooming you or otherwise getting to know you.
A very good sign. See if he will take a favorite treat from your hand too.
I appreciate all the tips. I encourage you to check out the progress :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts