I need advice

BizzlesLunchBox

Apr 30, 2015
Hi,

I am looking into getting a macaw at the back end of the year as these birds aren't cheap. I am going to do some research in the next few days but I thought I would come on here and get some information and interact with people.

what are the basics of keeping birds? are macaws easy to look after.

any information at all would be appreciated.

before you tell me about macaws I must mention that I live in a one bed house but I do have a big yard and a fairly big space in my lounge, so maybe my house isn't big enough?

Thanks

:orange::rainbow1::red::blue::red1::blue::blue1::blue2::whiteblue::green::yellow1:

Last edited:
This is just my .02. As far as I'm concerned macs are easy as far as temperment and relating to them. They are difficult as far as care and time required to keep them healthy and happy. They also aren't cheap when it comes to care.

I will give some examples. We got Zoe, our BT mac last June. We paid 1000k for Zoe, $600 for the cage, $200 for the well visit and I try hard not to think about how much time and money we spend on toys and food (though those costs can be mitigated if you're crafty and/or a savvy shopper.) In less than a year Zoe had managed to remove every door off her cage and one of them she destroyed to where it can't be put back on. She's also managed to chip some paint, so we're now looking at getting her a new cage.

When it comes to time needed to care for them this can't be underestimated. They are pair bond birds and if they don't have another mac, you are their flock mate, so they depend on you for their mental/emotional needs that they would normally get from another bird. I think they need at least 4 hours a night out of their cage and if it's my mac 2/3 of that time will be spent with you whether you like it or not, so you have to be prepared to commit that time. I like to play video games, Zoe does too, but her version is to destroy the controller and get in my face while I'm trying to play, so that has been severely limited.

On the flip side she's funny, smart and a complete mush. It's worth it to me, but the time commitment can't be underestimated and this is a bird that will outlive me.

Other species, like my sennies, are much more independent and don't require the time and hands on the same way as a mac, so that's something to think about.

PS....I don't think the house size is a problem.

Last edited:
Yeah, what you get with a mac is a "toddler with feathers." They don't take kindly to being ignored.

The interaction factor is off the hook, but it isn't optional... and that does not change for the life of the bird, which, as Karen pointed out, is forever.

If you can't deal with that, don't get one.

If that's the sort of interactive companion animal you are looking for, then, a mac is probably the right choice.

Macs are high maintenance... among the highest... Probably only M2'S and U2's being higher maintenance than a big mac...

Last edited:
My opinion, if you've never had a bird, start small and low maintenance! My Braxy is becoming a nightmare!

My opinion, if you've never had a bird, start small and low maintenance! My Braxy is becoming a nightmare!

Conures get spoiled bird syndrome...

And I disagree. Get the one you want, but learn how to train one before you get it...

The starter bird concept often ends up with the "starter bird" being displaced when he wasn't really the one you wanted... which isn't fair to the bird! Hate the concept with a passion!

Last edited:

Conures get spoiled bird syndrome...

And I disagree. Get the one you want, but learn how to train one before you get it...

I agree....if I do my research why can't I get the fid I want? What do I do with the small bird when I decide I'm ready for a bigger bird?

Like children, small bird small problem, big bird, big problem! I wish I started with a parakeet, of course, I didn't buy the birds, they were in my livingroom when I came home!

Welcome to the forums. :)

You've received some outstanding advice!

I only want to add that a few days of researching a big mac isn't nearly enough to fully understand what's behind being owned by one.

If you've never had any birds, I would not recommend a macaw as a 'first' bird, UNLESS you can manage to spend a good amount of time around some macaws to understand their behavior/body language, and how to properly handle them.

I only want to add that a few days of researching a big mac isn't nearly enough to fully understand what's behind being owned by one.

If you've never had any birds, I would not recommend a macaw as a 'first' bird, UNLESS you can manage to spend a good amount of time around some macaws to understand their behavior/body language, and how to properly handle them.

Or another option are the mini-macaws. Such as the Hahn's, Yellow Collared, and Severe Macaws. Much of the same Macaw personality in a smaller package! :)

Or another option are the mini-macaws. Such as the Hahn's, Yellow Collared, and Severe Macaws. Much of the same Macaw personality in a smaller package! :)

Just my .02, but severes are a bigger challenge than most of the big macs.

Man macaws scare me. I was raised with an Amazon that my mom ended up not having time for and eventually gave her to a retired lady who still has her. I got a CAG off craigslist back in 2008 who just passed away a little over a month ago.
So in my search for a new companion I found my baby green cheek conure and my Amazon who has a Dna cert that says she's a blue front but members on here think she may be a dyh or YNA mix. Either way I love my birds. I couldn't imagine having picked a different one.
Having had large bird experience, I was only slightly prepared for an Amazon,

I would say if your heart really is set on a macaw go handle them at a rescue, meet as many as you can, you will want to know how to handle and train them.

welcome to the forums. :)

you've received some outstanding advice!

If you've never had any birds, i would not recommend a macaw as a 'first' bird, unless you can manage to spend a good amount of time around some macaws to understand their behavior/body language, and how to properly handle them.

or another option are the mini-macaws. Such as the hahn's, yellow collared, and severe macaws. Much of the same macaw personality in a smaller package! :)

ummm.... Not exactly!!

The last bird in the world i would ever recommend for a newbie is a severe!!! They are the most difficult of the bunch....

Severe's can be fierce opinionated creatures. They tend to be one person birds. And you really, really, really need to know how to socialize one in order to not have significant problems with biting.

The other mini macs, yes... If you can handle small bird, big attitude...

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back