I need some advice please, my two green thigh caique are mating

freeflight

May 17, 2022
Parrots
2 green thigh caiques
I need some advice please, my green thigh caiques are mating, what minerals and vitamins will i need to give her, and any advice would be great on how to care for her.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
If you are planning on raising the offspring you need a whole bunch of stuff right away.
nest box.
baby bird formula.
incubator in cas the parents reject the eggs.
brooder box in case the parents don’t keep the chicks warm.

If not raising them invest in dummy eggs to replace the eggs laced by your hen.

extra calcium is a good idea For your hen pre/during egg laying. Scrambled eggs is good. Lots of other stuff to.

OP
F

freeflight

May 17, 2022
Parrots
2 green thigh caiques
If you are planning on raising the offspring you need a whole bunch of stuff right away.
nest box.
baby bird formula.
incubator in cas the parents reject the eggs.
brooder box in case the parents don’t keep the chicks warm.

If not raising them invest in dummy eggs to replace the eggs laced by your hen.

extra calcium is a good idea For your hen pre/during egg laying. Scrambled eggs is good. Lots of other stuff to.
Thank you for your advice. I will leave them with her, but if she ignores them that will be fine, my main priority is my female, i will add extra calcium and vitamins to her chop in the mornings, should i add the extra fits every day or just once a week.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The extra calcium is fine but giving vitamins generally speaking should only be done under a certified avian vets instruction.

I find your attitude about the potential offspring of this mating disturbing.
The overall feelings of the Parrot Forums members on breading parrots is rather negative.
It's not universal as I have raised two clutches of Cockatiels.
To let the eggs develop and hatch and not do everything in your power to see to it they survive is ......
Disturbing.
My first clutch I lost two babies. One of the losses could not be helped but the other was my fault and I feel terrible about it to this day (the were hatched in 2016).

If you don't want to raise the offspring you should think about the fake egg option .

Texsize

OP
F

freeflight

May 17, 2022
Parrots
2 green thigh caiques
The extra calcium is fine but giving vitamins generally speaking should only be done under a certified avian vets instruction.

I find your attitude about the potential offspring of this mating disturbing.
The overall feelings of the Parrot Forums members on breading parrots is rather negative.
It's not universal as I have raised two clutches of Cockatiels.
To let the eggs develop and hatch and not do everything in your power to see to it they survive is ......
Disturbing.
My first clutch I lost two babies. One of the losses could not be helped but the other was my fault and I feel terrible about it to this day (the were hatched in 2016).

If you don't want to raise the offspring you should think about the fake egg option .

Texsize
What I mean is my first priority is with the female making sure she has all the nutrition that she needs, of course if she became a great mum with the eggs and does hatch them that would be brilliant. I do have an incubator if all goes pear shaped, I would rather the pair raise them if possible, I understand that most eggs get abandon on first try. I am not heartless and would do all that I can. I also rescue many animals, ferrets, hedgehogs and wild birds and baby birds that have fallen out of the nest. So maybe I worded it wrong to make you think I don't care.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I am glad to hear it.
I know reading and writing in text can get misinterpreted.
Sorry if it sounded like I was coming down hard on you.

OP
F

freeflight

May 17, 2022
Parrots
2 green thigh caiques
ok, nest box is made just encase she is going to lay, calcium powder will be added to her chop. They are in separate cages with an adjoining small door, which i open in the evening as they like to snuggle up together and sleep. I only let them be with each other when i am around as they can be quite rough with each other. They have lots of time out to fly around and they go out in the aviary on the nice days for the sunshine. I hope i am doing all that i can for my bird, if she abandoned the eggs i will not incubate them, but if they are baby birds i will do all that i can. I have raised many different breeds of poultry and ducks, but as for parrots that is a very extremely hard thing to do, i hope and pray she will be a good mum. I might be worrying about nothing and she won’t have any eggs to lay.

OP
F

freeflight

May 17, 2022
Parrots
2 green thigh caiques
ok, nest box is made just encase she is going to lay, calcium powder will be added to her chop. They are in separate cages with an adjoining small door, which i open in the evening as they like to snuggle up together and sleep. I only let them be with each other when i am around as they can be quite rough with each other. They have lots of time out to fly around and they go out in the aviary on the nice days for the sunshine. I hope i am doing all that i can for my bird, if she abandoned the eggs i will not incubate them, but if they are baby birds i will do all that i can. I have raised many different breeds of poultry and ducks, but as for parrots that is a very extremely hard thing to do, i hope and pray she will be a good mum. I might be worrying about nothing and she won’t have any eggs to lay.
Also I have removed the hammack and they have not mated since, so fingers crossed that she does not have any eggs to lay.

Most Reactions

Latest posts