I think Baby's hand shy....?

Gypsy

Dec 19, 2010
Wisconsin :)
Parrots
Baby-Red Lored Amazon
I've noticed that she doesn't like people reaching for her, but once she's on them she's ok. She doesn't care if I pick her up, she steps up perfect, but ONLY if I tell her I'm going to ahead of time. If I just reach for her it seems like she gets scared and will squawk and bite at me. Once she sees that its me she won't actually bite, but its like she's afraid of hands.

She loves if I stroke her head, and tolerates me touching her chest, sometimes her back, but will nip if I try to touch her wings or tail.

However, when she's sitting with me on my shoulder, she loves to snuggle up to me and rest her beak on my face. If I reach around without her seeing my hand while she's doing this, I can stroke and spread her wing, touch her tail, belly, anywhere and she doesn't mind, as long as shes by my face. I could give her kisses anywhere, or put my face anywhere by her and she's ok. It's like she recognizes me by my face but doesn't recognize me by my hands.

She was just a breeder bird, so its likely that she was never hand fed or anything. Does anyone know anything about this sort of behavior, or what it means?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Ok so you have her used to you having good things in your hands like treats. Move slowly whe your hands are in her view.
I would not touch much below the neck because that may stimulate her into a mating behavior and laying eggs. Just stick to the head. She sounds very cute.

OP
G

Gypsy

Dec 19, 2010
Parrots
Baby-Red Lored Amazon
The only problem is that she doesn't like any treats :( She loves sunflower seeds but since I've been told those aren't good for her I've been slowly taking them out of her diet. Should I try using them as treats?

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
As long as she is fed a balanced diet of pellets, fresh fruit, veggies etc then sunflower seeds are not bad for her. As long as they are given in moderation :)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Have you tried a small amt. yogurt, grape, cheese, non salted crackers, there are so many choices for treats. You will have to experiment to find out what that magic treat is she likes.

OP
G

Gypsy

Dec 19, 2010
Parrots
Baby-Red Lored Amazon
I was told to stay away from dairy products. They're ok to give her? She won't eat anything from a spoon, and she will taste things I'm eating, but normally just spits them out. She also refuses to eat anything thats not bite sized. Its gotta be in tiny pieces, even most pellet are too big.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
It is lactose intolerance birds have. So things like yogurt, small bits of cheese, cottage cheese are ok. Keep trying to feed from the spoon or a small plastic bottle top. One day you may need to give medication that way. It is just a matter of exposure. She is just not used to this. Be patient and keep trying. Some people try pellets for a few days and then say my bird wont eat pellets when it may take several week or months to make the transfer.

izmail1215

Sep 12, 2010
Media
Houston
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon-Sam
I love it how amazons are VERY pickey! I would try to put my hand on a perch and she will start to see its no threat. then reward. oh to find out what he likes I would put lots of differnt treats and see which one is gone like penuts pumpkin seeds cracker ect.

OP
G

Gypsy

Dec 19, 2010
Parrots
Baby-Red Lored Amazon
So I went today and drove 1/2 and hour to the closest store that sold Zupreem. I bought the small parrot Original flavored one with the tiny bites, and then also got the Medium/Large parrot one in the fruit flavors. I also went to the store and bought one of every parrot safe fruits and veges they had. Needless to say I've had the bird for less then a week and already spent about $150 on different types food for her. But do you know what?

SUCCESS!!!!

She loved the pellets, both kinds! She ate them like they were her favorite food in the world! I'm asuming she must have been on pellets at the breeders, either that or she just really loves them! She still like her seeds more, but now I can wean her off with no problem. I mixed a bowl of both types of Zupreem pellets, and crushed a couple NutriBerries into it, and she started gobbling it up!

I also got some Blackberries at the grocery store. I started eating them and completely ignored Baby, who was on my shoulder. At first she didn't care, and when I offered her one she turned her nose up. So I just ignored her again and acted like I was eating the best food in the world. Slowly she started getting irritated at being left out and started chirping at me. (Thats the best way I can describe it.) I still ignored her, so then she started imitating the sounds I was making, and as I was about to eat another berry, she grabbed it right out of my hand and started eating! Ha ha, I guess I found the way to her stomach!

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
I also got some Blackberries at the grocery store. I started eating them and completely ignored Baby, who was on my shoulder. At first she didn't care, and when I offered her one she turned her nose up. So I just ignored her again and acted like I was eating the best food in the world. Slowly she started getting irritated at being left out and started chirping at me. (Thats the best way I can describe it.) I still ignored her, so then she started imitating the sounds I was making, and as I was about to eat another berry, she grabbed it right out of my hand and started eating! Ha ha, I guess I found the way to her stomach!

LOL! That is so cute!

OP
G

Gypsy

Dec 19, 2010
Parrots
Baby-Red Lored Amazon
What do you think about this cage for Baby? Or should I just go with the traditional style? I just like that the playstand isn't at the top of the cage, so she won't get naughty when I try to get her down. I also really like the extra door that opens unto the playstand. That way I can leave it open like I do with her cage now and she can go on it whenever she'd like. Do you think the "L" shape just limits her space? Would it be ok with her disability, or just make it harder for her to get around?

njb.jpg

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Typical bird, they will enjoy whatever we are enjoying. As you found out, it takes a bit of acting to get them going, on the right track. You doing a great job, keep it up and enjoy all your special birdie moments.....

OP
G

Gypsy

Dec 19, 2010
Parrots
Baby-Red Lored Amazon
Today Baby was in a really strange mood. She wouldn't let me get her out of her cage to go to work and kept nipping at me, and all day long she kept screaming and whistle and yelling, enough to drive my roomate crazy. I think the change in diet made her really mad.

On the other hand, me and Baby are moving out! I found a great little house with an animal lover as my landlord, its gonna be perfect. Baby and my furbabies will have their own room and everything, so now she can have any cage she would like! Ha ha and no more roomate that she hates lol.

I've also found out something new about Baby. Every morning, she sings. Its a really, really pretty melody, and she sings it over and over for about 5 minutes strait. Sometimes she does it at night too. Everyone in the house will stop and listen when she does it its so pretty. I'm not sure what song it is, but I'd love to find out. I'm gonna try to record it next time.

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
I would love to hear a recording of her singing! The cage looks great! I think Baby will love it! I also like how the playstand isn't at the top and that there's a door from the cage to the playstand.

lordburrito

Oct 26, 2010
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Lilly, Blue Fronted Amazon Parrot
Johnny, Scarlet Macaw
Chilli, Scarlet Macaw
Very nice!! And being moody... is something completely normal for amazons. Sometimes, they will do anything to get our attention, from singing, squaking, talking, dancing .... but sometimes, they just want to be left alone... and you just leave her alone, then you will see in a few minutes or hours, she will come to you by herself. Just be patient. Also her "hand phobia" is pretty much normal. Almost all amazons has it on the start. She just have to get used to you, and trust you. Believe me, if your bird wouldn't be hand-fed, you'd need at least 6 months to get close to her with the proper training of course. She would never even get close to you!!! And remember, these animals are not like dogs and cats, witch we can pet whenever we want to. These animals are pet only when THEY want to ;)

OP
G

Gypsy

Dec 19, 2010
Parrots
Baby-Red Lored Amazon
I really like that cage too, and since Baby gets naughty on top her cage sometimes, maybe the lower playstand will help. As soon as we get situated in our new place I'll be ordering it for her, in the meantime my friend has an old cage she used to use for her Amazon that she said I can have. With a little scrubbing it will work just fine until her new one comes.

Oh, and does anyone know if its safe to use the corn cob bird litter in the bottom tray of the cage? Thats what Baby's old owner used and I want to see if its ok to keep using. I heard somewhere that its not good.

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
This is on a site I found about corn cob litter (The link is below):

Corn Cobs
- Once ingested, corn cobs can remain in the body for years before causing illness or death. Ingested corn cobs absorb moisture and swell, which can cause impaction, bleeding and death. Baby birds can also develop bacteria and yeast infections from the ingested material. When wet or in humid climates, cobs can grow Aspergillus molds which cause a respiratory disease in birds. This disease is difficult to treat and can be fatal. The cobs will also absorb moisture from your bird's droppings, promoting growth of organisms and hiding loose poops. It's a poor material for examining droppings.

Winged Wisdom Magazine. Bird Cage Liners: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

OP
G

Gypsy

Dec 19, 2010
Parrots
Baby-Red Lored Amazon
No, its on the tray under the grate at the bottom of her cage, so she can't actually touch it. I just like it cause I can scoop it like a litter box every day and don't have to toss it out like newspaper, which I think is wasteful.

Most Reactions