I think I regret my bird and idk what to do

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Although an unexpected outcome, I imagine it is still a welcomed relief!

From my understanding, galahs are considered somewhat of a pest in Australia and they can be just as cheap as cockatiels there!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Yes, since Iā€™m now at my parents house we are working together on this. My parents and I have decided itā€™s best for me to find a therapist and try for a month or so to see how things are going and work it out that way. My avian vet is also in the loop, and we are going to work towards the best solution.

So it seems Percy and my father (and kind of my mom) have bonded extremely well. Iā€™m going to primarily take care of him while I teach them about bird care and best practices. Also get them involved in training.

This was an outcome I didnā€™t expect. My dad hated my last bird, and now he is smitten. I suppose this is also for the best, because it turns out the countries Iā€™d mostly likely be moving to (Australia or Korea) does not allow their entry, or the spaces of apartments are extremely small and donā€™t allow pets.

Time spent with a competent therapist should prove invaluable. Chances are your quandary with Percy will be a conduit to exploring other issues.

Well that is a most welcome turn of events! Keeping Percy with your family may be the best possible solution!

OP
C

Caitcultclassic

Aug 26, 2019
Parrots
Percy the RB2
Yeah itā€™s all nicely working out. So I just need to focus on getting myself in a great spot now.

A little selfishly I feel jealous about it lol. Like he actually will listen to them and everything, and I mean staying still or going somewhere else or turning screaming into happy talking (with out training!!!) and gets so sweet, itā€™s the bird relationship I wantedā€”but itā€™s just not happening with me. He loved standing and watching my dad play video games too, with me he couldnā€™t stand it. I think itā€™s actually because my parents physically resemble the breeders (thatā€™s what Im telling myself). Perhaps in the far future when my cats are old and decrepit, and I have an even larger savings to fall back on when times get tough. Until then Iā€™ll keep volunteering with birds and donating to conservation efforts and I guess spoil Percy like an aunt lol.

Iā€™m glad itā€™s working out okay. But I do have to talk with them about plans on what to do if he outlives themā€”but thatā€™ll be hopefully in a few years when my life is more stable and we know what real options are. I have other siblings, but one has sensory issues and cannot stand his noise levels, and the other two would depend on their own situationā€”also Iā€™m the only real bird person. But thatā€™s a future problem.

Most Reactions

Latest posts