I think my cockatiel vomited seeds ...

Roomie'smamma

Sep 30, 2022
Parrots
Roomie (cockatiel)
Hello, a few moments ago I was playing with my cockatiel and he started turning his head left and right quickly and many seeds fell from his mouth. I was so confused cause neither of my late cockatiels did that when they where alive and it was the first time I saw Roomie doing this ... I searched it but I found nothing and we don't have a birdvet where I live ...so if anyone can help me please...

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
@Roomie'smamma this sounds like regurgitation, which parrots do for their babies or their "mate". It can be triggered by several things or a combination of things.

OP
R

Roomie'smamma

Sep 30, 2022
Parrots
Roomie (cockatiel)
@Roomie'smamma this sounds like regurgitation, which parrots do for their babies or their "mate". It can be triggered by several things or a combination of things.

Thank you so much for the help it didn't looked like vomit I searched it after maybe he was trying to saw as that he cares

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

To me it sounds more like vomit, because the bird was shaking its head around.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Was the bird very dirty afterwards? Was there vomit all over? If it wasn't out if control the bird's probably ok.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
It could be difficult to distinguish regurgitation from vomiting for someone new to parrots. I've been keeping parrots for 3 1/2 years, and I only ever saw one parrot vomit. I fostered a Green-cheeked Conure, and he got motion sick on trips the avian vet. His "regurgitated" food would be all over the inside of the carrier, and a little bit would be on him. I never got to see the act, because I was the driver. But, after reading that article, I now understand the difference.

Video is helpful here. I think the head-shaking at the very end is the sign of vomiting.

This explains both regurgitation and vomiting.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Iā€™m guessing if you had an excited bird it might be hard to tell the difference between regurgitation and vomiting. For example, if your bird has been bobbing its head.

My Quaker Lucy got carsick and shook her head and sort of ā€œthrew upā€ seeds. She got regurg on her face and in her travel cage. But she was also a head-bobbing sort of bird and did sometimes regurgitate. I usually put her back in her cage if she was getting worked up to regurgitate for me.

I would keep an eye on the cockatiel and see how he does when heā€™s not excited for a day or two. I can imaging the regurg could get a bit stuck and maybe then the act could morph into vomiting or throwing up.

Last edited:

Most Reactions