Identifying new baby conure

alcoapple

Jul 6, 2018
Kent
Parrots
Conure
Hi all.

New here today. Hopefully someone can advise. We have a new member of the family as of this week, a nearly 3 month old baby conure.

This is we're trying to identify specifically what type she is (not confirmed, went with a 'she'). The shop said standard green cheek bit she doesn't appear to match the usual markings from pics/guides I've looked up, nor for any others exactly. I'm thinking she may be a hybrid but would like some clarification.

Also the original breeder has said Turquoise cheek and we don't have that as on option on the insurance paperwork which is the other reason we wanted to confirm.

Hopefully this is enough imagery to help.

Many thanks in advance.:green:

Attachments

• DSC_1361.jpg
    DSC_1361.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC_1350.jpg
    DSC_1350.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,048
  • DSC_1359.jpg
    DSC_1359.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 175

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
You have a beautiful turquoise green cheek conure. So sweet! Wroclaw yo uou

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome! Plenty of conure lovers here (me included... um... and the Rickeybird, too).
If you have questions on diet or toys or anything else, we'd love to chime in. The Search Tab above is also a great reading resource.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Yellow-sided Turquoise Green Cheek Conure. She is beautiful!

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
Lovely baby.
I love the photos she? sleeps in your hand :green:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Ditto Sunnyclover

Species: Green cheek conure
Mutation: Turquoise yellowside

Same as saying...

Breed: Labrador Retriever
Color: Chocolate

OP
A

alcoapple

Jul 6, 2018
Kent
Parrots
Conure
Oh really? I'm not seeing any yellow or is that more one of those things where it's yellowish rather than actual yellow? Many thanks all for your feedback and kind comments.

Yes she sleeps very happily in your hand, she nudges you and then pushed and falls back on your hand whether it's there or not!! Very trusting, maybe a little too much, we've missed her a couple of times!

Re: diet. She's doing very well with red fruits specifically, and most dry/long life treats but not so great with veg so far. A decent selection has been successful so far though thankfully.

She's different in that she's a cage bottom bird for like 95% of the time. That's new to me with several small birds I have owned over the years. Only goes up for seeds/water. Playing wirh bells and running back forth waiting to come back out take up the majority of the time 😂

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The correct name for her mutation is an opaline turquoise. However, most people call the opaline mutation as "yellowside".

The same can be said for pearl cockatiels. The true mutation is opaline, but it has a "pearling" effect to their feathers. Or the whiteface mutations? Those are blue birds, but they are not actually *blue* to our eyes! ;)

She does indeed have some "yellowish" feathers!

She is a young bird, so her behavior is probably normal for wanting to play down low! She sounds adorable!

Most Reactions