I'm back - with a vengance ;-)

madparrotwoman

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Plymouth, UK
Parrots
CAG
hahns macaw
Nobody has probably noticed but I've been away for a week, my son had an accident whilst out playing and as a consequence we have been at the hospital all week. He is home now although using crutches :( To make matters worse the only week of summer weather we have had since June occured last week when we were cooped up in the hospital ward, it's pouring with rain this morning - oh woe is me! :mad:

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Oh I'm sorry to hear that!

Did he break something?

Our weather has indeed been pretty awful for the past while, but if it's any consolation, it was almost TOO hot lol.

Great for washing and BBQ's - not much else!!

OP
madparrotwoman

madparrotwoman

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Plymouth, UK
Parrots
CAG
hahns macaw
Nothing broken, tbh it might have been easier to fix had there been. He had a 15cm (6inch) gash to his knee exposing his bone, the problem was getting all the dirt and grit out of the wound, he had it washed out under local (10 injections OMG) and 2 further operations under general anethetic. The worry was infection setting in.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Oh my goodness!

I'm rubbing my leg thinking about it!

Infections are always a worry. I managed to put a brand new knife through my hand at work a couple of years ago....raw fish of all things. I went through everything nerves, tendons..... They gave me so many antibiotics I was rattling. I remained infection free though. If he had introvenus (sp?) antibiotics then please, tell him he has my biggest sympathy because I remember how much it hurt!

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
Welcome back MPW. It's always the way with the weather isn't it... we usually get beautiful sunshine Mon-Fri then rain on the w/e. Hope your son recovers quickly

OP
madparrotwoman

madparrotwoman

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Plymouth, UK
Parrots
CAG
hahns macaw
Oh my goodness!

I'm rubbing my leg thinking about it!

Infections are always a worry. I managed to put a brand new knife through my hand at work a couple of years ago....raw fish of all things. I went through everything nerves, tendons..... They gave me so many antibiotics I was rattling. I remained infection free though. If he had introvenus (sp?) antibiotics then please, tell him he has my biggest sympathy because I remember how much it hurt!

Ouch sounds nasty!

Yes he did have introvenus antibiotics but is now taking them in tablet form. Kids eh? LOL

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Oh dear! That does sound nasty, MPW. Glad you're back and that everything is OK!

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I hope he gets better soon - at least he maybe gets a bit extra time off school? ;)

I do sympathise so much with him! Bless.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
What a worrying week for you mpw, terrible when ones kids land up in hospital.
Glad to hear that he is back home, wishing him a speedy recovery
In my prayers ;)

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Oh MPW you silly woman, did you really think your absence went unnoticed? you have to remember the "Parrot Police" are always vigilant, always on duty, the Parrot Posse was poised and ready for an all out search and rescue mission ;).........nice to have you back!

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
It's completely back to normal with the exception of being a bit numb to the touch which I was told wouldn't go away. I don't notice it at all though except when it gets really cold or I bash it lol. I worked the strengh back up as it was my writing hand.

He'll be fine, I'm sure of it. He'll have a cracking scar to show off, girls will think he's brave and when he gets a LTR they'll think it's sooooo cute. hahah! It'll be sore for a while but when it's sorted all that will be forgotten - until someone else has a similar injury! haha!

xx

OP
madparrotwoman

madparrotwoman

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Plymouth, UK
Parrots
CAG
hahns macaw
Thanks Von, the reason I asked was that my son is a keen footballer and plays for a team. You are right about all the femail attention lol.

Glad your hand is 99.9% back to normal.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Oh he'll be fine! If there was no bone damage then really, it's just a case of stretching skin & muscles again - they'll give him physio if needed I'm sure!

Is he feeling better?

OP
madparrotwoman

madparrotwoman

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Plymouth, UK
Parrots
CAG
hahns macaw
Well it's been another hectic week. I've had a friend from the US staying with me and we crammed a lot into her visit so still I've been away from the forum lol

Back on the subject of my son, he had his stitches taken out yesterday (Friday) and it looks pretty good (although it looks like he has been attacked by a shark lol - it's a big scar and it's shaped like a shark's mouth!) but he says he has no feeling when the surrounding area is touched. I find this a little worrying. However he has progressed from using crutches to running and he is already predicting when his next football match is likely to be.

Most Reactions

Latest posts