I'm wondering what is the minimum size for blue throated macaw

Kaitama

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
no none other than parrakeets
I'm planning on getting a blue throated macaw and was looking at cages and was wondering what the smallest I could go is for the time being just until I can get a bigger cage. Let me know if you have any other information on the topic and if you know any specific cages that would be good. I have cared for cockatiel, conure, and i myself own 2 parakeets this cage would only be for it while I'm at school or just out hanging with my friends and when its time to sleep. He will be outside his cage for 6-7 hours everyday but on the weekends probably more
Added note: Is 64"L x 32"W x 73"H good or do I go with 79"L x 40"W x 77"H?

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I'm planning on getting a blue throated macaw and was looking at cages and was wondering what the smallest I could go is for the time being just until I can get a bigger cage. Let me know if you have any other information on the topic and if you know any specific cages that would be good. I have cared for cockatiel, conure, and i myself own 2 parakeets this cage would only be for it while I'm at school or just out hanging with my friends and when its time to sleep. He will be outside his cage for 6-7 hours everyday but on the weekends probably more
What a magnificent rare bird! You are so lucky to be getting a Blue Throated Macaw! Bigger is always better especially with macaws. A Blue Throated (according to Wikipedia) is about 33 inches long with a 36 inch wingspan- that's a big bird! Give this special bird what it deserves from the start and get the larger cage! And post lots of pictures of your new big baby!

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I would not go smaller than a 36" W cage for a blue throat, but the bigger the better. The cage will not be as large once you place 5 or 6 toys, perches, and a swing inside of it. Be aware they are escape artists and find one with a good locking system. My favorite brand of cage is Kings.

OP
K

Kaitama

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
What a magnificent rare bird! You are so lucky to be getting a Blue Throated Macaw! Bigger is always better especially with macaws. A Blue Throated (according to Wikipedia) is about 33 inches long with a 36 inch wingspan- that's a big bird! Give this special bird what it deserves from the start and get the larger cage! And post lots of pictures of your new big baby!
will do I'll get the biggest cage I can get right now will keep you guys up dated

OP
K

Kaitama

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
I would not go smaller than a 36" W cage for a blue throat, but the bigger the better. The cage will not be as large once you place 5 or 6 toys, perches, and a swing inside of it. Be aware they are escape artists and find one with a good locking system. My favorite brand of cage is Kings.
Will do gonna get the biggest cage I can at the moment will keep you updated

OP
K

Kaitama

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Is there like an aviary/cage you could recommend I would prefer one with a bottom since I'm going to need to heat my house to keep the bird warm in the winter months if theres no bottom should I build one?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Is there like an aviary/cage you could recommend I would prefer one with a bottom since I'm going to need to heat my house to keep the bird warm in the winter months if theres no bottom should I build one?
I saw an one on Amazon. 82x62x79 walk in, powder coated, heavy duty metal bars, 1 inch bar spacing. $1,788. No floor but easy enough to place it on a sheet of plywood and cover with newspaper.
Wayfair sells an aviary similar sized for about $800, also powder coated called "Corwynn". Hard to find one that big with a base.
Wayfair also sells a 62x62 aviary base only on wheels for $1,181.
Building one would be difficult because the only materials readily available for bars are galvanized and you'd want powder coated.

OP
K

Kaitama

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
I saw an one on Amazon. 82x62x79 walk in, powder coated, heavy duty metal bars, 1 inch bar spacing. $1,788. No floor but easy enough to place it on a sheet of plywood and cover with newspaper.
Wayfair sells an aviary similar sized for about $800, also powder coated called "Corwynn". Hard to find one that big with a base.
Wayfair also sells a 62x62 aviary base only on wheels for $1,181.
Building one would be difficult because the only materials readily available for bars are galvanized and you'd want powder coated.
thanks for the info

Most Reactions

Latest posts