Is finding a good home for babies possible?

Nefritara

Apr 22, 2014
Central Florida
Parrots
3 Lovebirds, one male and two female
Hello all,
I live in the Tampa area in Florida. I have three baby lovebirds, they got to be around 8-9 weeks old. I have to find them good homes. Does anyone have any suggestions on doing this? I'm afraid of letting my babies go because you never know if the person will take good care of them....guess that's the chance I have to take? I don't want to sell them to a pet store because I see what goes on in there...(daughter or son wants bird and parent gets it and then it dies). I've seen it too many time.
So can anyone please help. Is there a website? Or does anyone know of a person who wants lovebirds and will take good care of them? I really need help!:green1:

Lovie

Feb 8, 2014
America~
Parrots
Birdie, my Lutino lovebird.
Some people put ads on Craigslist, but the truth is that not a lot of people trust that website. You ask to put flyers up near or on pet store windows (make sure to ask). If the store is willing and you put flyers up, there could be hopeful pet owners who will come to your door.

The best thing would be to find friends, or friends of friends, but that isn't always possible.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I just got my lovebird and two baby budgies on CL, and I hope I can provide a really good home for them. :) So I wouldn't be so mistrusting about CL or other websites like that. You can talk to a potential buyer and find out how much they know about keeping birds.

Lovie

Feb 8, 2014
America~
Parrots
Birdie, my Lutino lovebird.
I just got my lovebird and two baby budgies on CL, and I hope I can provide a really good home for them. :) So I wouldn't be so mistrusting about CL or other websites like that. You can talk to a potential buyer and find out how much they know about keeping birds.

Oh, I'm sorry, i didn't mean to insult you! I just meant that, sometimes, people hear about bad reputations from Craigslist sellers, but you (Nefritara) definitely shouldn't rule it out completely. It's a good way to get your information out there. Just be sure to put a lot of thorough information and pictures. That way, people will trust you more.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Oh, I didn't get offended at all! :) It depends on a city and local community. Somehow in Chicago the pet CL is very decent, and I met some really nice pet owners there. It takes some experience to distinguish the ads by normal people from creeps and bird flippers. If you are going to advertise them there I would recommend to include your name and phone number - that way people know they are dealing with a real person. But the one I got had email only, and I didn't really hope for anything… But it worked out better than I thought - I got a lovebird and two budgies for free as a bonus. :) I already love them so much!

OP
Nefritara

Nefritara

Apr 22, 2014
Central Florida
Parrots
Well to be completely honest I'm one of those people who don't trust craiglist, but after what you both have said, I have decided to place an ad on craigslist. And I put an ad in the local coffee shop. We will see what happens. It's just scary knowing there are people out there who mistreat their animals, you just never know. I'll just say a little prayer that they'll go to good homes :)
Thanks again guys!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Another option is eBay classifieds. I got my linnie from eBay classifieds and one of my sennies from craigslist, so if you're careful I think you can find good homes through them.

Elsa

May 8, 2014
Kentucky
Flyers in vets offices too. Also when you post it through a vet it tends to weed out those who don't seek medical care for their animals. Some rescues also allow rehoming flyers or adoption courtesy postings on sites like Petfinder.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Oh I also forgot to mention - if you are on Facebook check if there are any pages dedicated to parrots rehoming in your area. I'm subscribed to this one in IL/WI https://www.facebook.com/groups/parrotsneedinghomesinillinoisandwisconsin/
maybe there is a similar one in your area? They are MUCH safer than CL. I had to give away my two rats, and found a wonderful girl on the rat adoption page who is very nice with them and keeps me updated.

OP
Nefritara

Nefritara

Apr 22, 2014
Central Florida
Parrots
Wow, cool! Thank you all very much for replying. I really appreciate it!

Most Reactions