Is hand feeding necessary for free flight training?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, got a bit over disturbed there. Let's start with the basics; HAND FEEDING YOUR OWN BIRD IS A PRACTICE PUSHED BY SLEEZY LAZY GREEDY BREEDERS AND STORES WHO WOULD RATHER PUT THE RISK AND EXPENSE ON YOU.

it DOES NOT mean the bird will be more bonded to you, in fact often it means the opposite! Think about it, when a baby bird leaves the nest, he puts emotional and physical distance between himself and his parents. If you feed him yourself, YOU are the one he "outgrows" just like humans who want to move on, find mates, friends, etc. we may still love our parents, but we are independent from them. In parrots this is VERY evident in the Indian Raingnecks in particular. So hand feeding your own bird, in my opinion as a parrot lover and breeder, would damage your flight recall chances if it did anything at all.

HAND FEEDING ITSELF IS NOT EVEN NECESSARY FOR A TAME OR TRAINABLE BIRD! In fact, many birds have their mental capacities DAMAGED by incorrect feeding, weaning, fledging, and socializing (or lack there of) by inexperienced hand feeders, or people who just don't care, so PLEASE RUN AWAY from a breeder who even suggests you should feed your own bird. Even if they will do it for you, that indicates they care more about the money than about the bird which is NOT the way you want a parrot raised, especially one that you want to free fly.

In addition to listening to everything everyone else has said, here is a tip; buy from a breeder who insists on fully fledging their birds; this doesn't mean the bird just knows how to fly, but that is is a very good flier because he was allowed to fully developed the skill AT THE RIGHT STAGE OF MENTAL DEVELOPMENT. Poor flying ability is a death sentence to a free flying bird, and it is best if they learn to fly as chicks during the proper time, just as it is best for humans to learn to walk as toddlers not adults. Adults may indeed learn to walk, but will never quite have the skill of a human who learned at the right time. Fully flighted abundance weaned flock weaned birds, as a rule (there are always exceptions) will have the best chance of being confident, smart, excellent fliers with low startle factor; the kind of bird who tries to taste something new instead of flying away from it. Also choose a species that isn't commonly labled as "shy" or "timid."

I know that wing clipping is standard, and I'm not here to argue with that, but I wish I could show you two clipped birds of the same age, species, and gender living in the same home; one who was fully fledged, and one who was clipped before he had been flying for at least two months with lots of opportunity to fly. You would be astounded. If you are serious about flying your new bird, you owe it to that bird to do everything you can to keep him safe, and that goes far deeper than simply the training you do yourself and goes into picking the actual bird. Choosing the wrong bird for this kind of thing greatly increases the chance of the bird dying.

Best of luck, I am excited for you! Free flying is a dream of mine as well, but like I said there are a lot of factors even beyond training. Keep us updated!
:)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
In addition to listening to everything everyone else has said, here is a tip; buy from a breeder who insists on fully fledging their birds; this doesn't mean the bird just knows how to fly, but that is is a very good flier because he was allowed to fully developed the skill AT THE RIGHT STAGE OF MENTAL DEVELOPMENT. Poor flying ability is a death sentence to a free flying bird, and it is best if they learn to fly as chicks during the proper time, just as it is best for humans to learn to walk as toddlers not adults. Adults may indeed learn to walk, but will never quite have the skill of a human who learned at the right time. Fully flighted abundance weaned flock weaned birds, as a rule (there are always exceptions) will have the best chance of being confident, smart, excellent fliers with low startle factor; the kind of bird who tries to taste something new instead of flying away from it. Also choose a species that isn't commonly labled as "shy" or "timid."

I know that wing clipping is standard, and I'm not here to argue with that, but I wish I could show you two clipped birds of the same age, species, and gender living in the same home; one who was fully fledged, and one who was clipped before he had been flying for at least two months with lots of opportunity to fly. You would be astounded. If you are serious about flying your new bird, you owe it to that bird to do everything you can to keep him safe, and that goes far deeper than simply the training you do yourself and goes into picking the actual bird. Choosing the wrong bird for this kind of thing greatly increases the chance of the bird dying.

Best of luck, I am excited for you! Free flying is a dream of mine as well, but like I said there are a lot of factors even beyond training. Keep us updated!
:)

Yeah.

That's a very good point! If you're going to be free flying him, it's better to have a bird that's always been flighted. And fledging is a critical time in the development of a bird...

OP
B

BioHack

Mar 25, 2015
@SilverSage

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I've decided that weaning a bird myself is beyond my skill level and would much rather have an experienced, professional breeder to do it right and one who insists on letting the bird learn to fly before clipping him and sending him to me.

I've decided that I would like a blue and gold macaw. I've spoken with Daniel Walthers at Winding Woods Farms and I was very impressed with him and his philosophies with working with birds. I would also like to speak with Rita at Avian Adventures Aviary before I make my decision.

When I spoke with Daniel he gave me the impression that if free flight is right for me and the bird, that I can let his wings grow out once we have established a strong, working bond with each other.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
@SilverSage

...letting the bird learn to fly before clipping him and sending him to me...

...When I spoke with Daniel he gave me the impression that if free flight is right for me and the bird, that I can let his wings grow out once we have established a strong, working bond with each other...

Why clip at all? Ok ok I can hear a million people screaming "because I want my bird to be safe" which is an over used way to push an over used and I'll fitted idea on the general public. Yes, SOME birds are safer clipped; right now the majority of my tame birds are clipped temporarily, but I strongly advise AGAINST clipping a bird that you plan to free fly. Also, birds do NOT need to be clipped in order to bond with their owners or to trust people. A properly weaned and socialized baby from a breeder steps up for anyone (ask the people who visit my house; my babies are VERY trusting, lol). Some breeders claim the bird was allowed to fledge when they were not; the only way you can be sure your bird was left uncoupled is for them to arrive uncoupled. In addition, a bird with full flight has LESS REASON to fear anyone or anything, because he knows he can fly away. A clipped bird tends to be more likely to bite in a scary situation because in the choice of "fight or flight" the "flight" option is off the table.

Like I said, I am not anti clipping, some of my own birds are currently clipped, but if you truly desire to free fly your bird then you already need to plan for the safety measures of a flighted bird. The best time to enact those measures is when you first bring the bird home anyway, so why would you have the bird clipped if you truly desire him to be a master of the skies?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
@SilverSage

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I've decided that weaning a bird myself is beyond my skill level and would much rather have an experienced, professional breeder to do it right and one who insists on letting the bird learn to fly before clipping him and sending him to me.

I've decided that I would like a blue and gold macaw. I've spoken with Daniel Walthers at Winding Woods Farms and I was very impressed with him and his philosophies with working with birds. I would also like to speak with Rita at Avian Adventures Aviary before I make my decision.

When I spoke with Daniel he gave me the impression that if free flight is right for me and the bird, that I can let his wings grow out once we have established a strong, working bond with each other.

I know Rita. She's good. Can't go wrong with her. (I got Maggie as a rescue, but she was one of Rita's babies... and Maggie is free flighted. So there's that.)

I don't know this other person, but if he abundance weans, and allows them to fledge, then that's what you want...

The other breeder I would recommend, who does free fly her birds, is Wendy Craig.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Abort note is to ask the breeder to describe what it means to allow a bird to fledge. Simply not clipping the wings is not the same as fledging, the babies need flying time and lots of it! I would ask them to describe it to you, and dump anyone who doesn't describe babies getting daily flying time and RUN from the person who describes it as "letting them have their first few flights." If your bird will be flying outside, you want them to be able to preform all the complex tasks like last second change of direction, avoiding moving objects, flying nearly straight down, landing on moving objects, chasing and avoiding each other (ahem, Hawks anyone?). Also, in my previous post the word "unclippled" was replaced by the word "uncoupled" which obviously is not what this thread is about.

Most Reactions