Is his beak ok?

Ninjina93

Jan 21, 2022
Hi all! Brand new here for some advice.

Last week I found an injured wild Quaker parrot in my village, where there is a large colony (I live in Spain). Sadly he must have been attacked by a cat and after a trip to the vet it was established he has a fracture in the wing which would result in 2-3 weeks of recovery before flying free again. This is great news but until then hes hanging out in a box in our spare room. He has been rebandaged twice already because he is obsessed with ripping it off his wing!

So to get this straight I am NOT a bird person, i have never had birds nor do I intend to haha, I have been provided the most basic advice from the vets to care for him, then help him relearn flying until I can take him back to the tree where I found him.

He has one week of recovery left and as he is now really perking up and healing hes started to go hard at ripping his bandage, his beak today now looks discoloured and strange, perhaps bruised?. I cant tell if it's from trauma of biting 12 hours a day or if it's a sticky glue from the bandage. Being wild he is pretty spicy so I can't get close enough to him to touch it without getting my finger chewed very hard (although - he trusts me now to take a seed when offered, comes to sit in my hand and climbs on my shoulder etc)

Unfortunately the exotic vets don't open until after the weekend. I imagine people in this forum are pretty knowledgeable so I'd like some opinions. I've spent so much time and energy worrying for this little soul, I just want him to be ok.. is this a damage to his beak and if so is it serious? I mean what can I do, he needs to have this bandage on to heal and fly again but he keeps ripping at it :cry:

Attachments

• inCollage_20220122_012101082.jpg
    inCollage_20220122_012101082.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 97

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank you fir saving his life!
Beak looks like normal beak pealing as renews. Probably a little from over chewing on bandage.

Offer him bell pepper and romaine lettuce, a little boiled egg. And other parrot safe veggies like green beans and broccoli. Thaw frozen peas and offer many loves those as well

Its extremely hard to have parrot leave bandage alone. I can inky say follow vet advice

OP
Ninjina93

Ninjina93

Jan 21, 2022
Thank you fir saving his life!
Beak looks like normal beak pealing as renews.

Offer him bell pepper and romaine lettuce, a little boiled egg. And other parrot safe veggies like green beans and broccoli. Thaw frozen peas and offer many loves those as well
Gosh, thanks for replying so quickly. So as he's pulling and pecking at the bandage it seems like its peeling and healing over?! Phew. I got this worry that it was gonna snap off or something.

I have given him every fruit and veg I can get my hands on, a freakin buffet every day, but the only thing he will eat is a red lettuce, seeds and the leaves of the tree from where he lives lol (I picked full branches off to make him feel at home)

Thanks again!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It will heal. Its not ideal for them over wear it on hard objects. But hopefully the bandage comes off soon.

You can try offering lots if other stuff to chew on.

Its very rare fir them to survive the bacteria from a cats mouth. So you and your vet have done a great job! Now everything just need to mend. I pray he can return to his burd family.
I love how bright and healthy he looks in the picture.
I want to kiss those floofy cheeks

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
YEah the beak looks like over use trying to get the bandage off and maybe some adhesive from it. Beaks constantly grow so that will grow out. Good job saving this one!

Most Reactions

Latest posts