Is it possible for Lovebirds not to molt?

PenClem

Oct 15, 2018
Media
Texas
Parrots
Penelope & Clementine (Peach-faced Lovebirds); RIP Dewey (Budgie)
I've had my 3 y/o Peach-faced Lovebirds since they were weaned. We live in central Texas where the humidity is high most of the year and it only cools down between Oct-Feb, usually. They live indoors next to, but not in front of, a window. They also have an outdoor aviary they spend time in on moderate temp days.

Up until now, they have been fed size-appropriate Zupreem fruit-blend pellets, some seed, and chop (which they mostly only pick at). I'd say the pellets are their staple with seed as a second, and chop coming in last. I'm going to change their food to Harrison's high-potency super fine pellets. The order has been placed and will take a couple days to get here. Based on what I've read in this forum, that is the way to go. I am home most of the time and can also provide chop more often. (I have neglected making a bigger priority out of their diet and no one is to blame but me.) They have access to a cuttlebone in their cage that they rarely pick at.

They don't take baths very often. Penelope can be coaxed under the faucet on occasion, but Clementine only dips her head in the water bowl every now and again. I spray them with fresh water when they're outside in the aviary.

I'm concerned about their molting patterns...or lack thereof. In the three years I've had them, I don't think they've ever gone through a full molt. They rarely lose feathers and when changing the papers in their cages, I can see there isn't much shedding happening either. No down, no skin, and as I said, very few feathers.

Should I be concerned? What can I do to jump-start a molt, if needed?

Photo taken last week during a warm, sunny day in TX.

Attachments

• av3.jpg
    av3.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 124

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Just change the food like you were planning to do- once they get more nutrients and less sugar their bodies will probably take care of the rest.

They look absolutely gorgeous in that picture.

Most Reactions

Latest posts