is it safe to keep food in polyethylene flat bag

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I either keep it in the bag it came in or a glass jar (like a big glass cookie jar). some bags (even zip-locks) give food a plasticy flavor over time when sitting at room temp (and some plastics definitely can leech into things long-term). You could put the original bag (w/ food) in another bag if for some reason you cant seal off the original. I am not sure about the bags you mentioned. Just saying what I would do.

7fe65c05-4416-4d4d-98ba-e79f8505695c_1.54fbe2ddd0513cc4249eab0220ed92a0.jpeg

^^^ anchor hocking 1 gallon heritage storage jar for $14.99

Peanuts should technically be removed. They contain aflatoxins and can harbor fungal spores in high quantities.

Last edited:
OP
Z

zana

Sep 14, 2020
Removed all peanuts - around 20-30. Why they sell parrot food with peanuts? I can't understand it.
About glass jar - I have one but with plastic cap https://imgur.com/EvuJ4se

About parrot food - in my country 90% of online shops sell Versele Laga, Vitakraft, Padovan. Found one shop who sell Vadigran and Deli Nature. Which one is the best?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If they are w/out the shell, it is less dangerous, but I still avoid them if I can. They are not inherently bad, but standard storage etc is what leads them to harbor these toxins etc in some instances.

CharlieChick

Dec 7, 2020
If it's one of those zip-lock bags, then I believe they are ok though I would recommend storing it in a box or glass container or something... and I don't particularly think peanuts are good for birds (or safe in that matter) I have never tried feeding them to my birds nor will I ever do. Talk to your avian vet for more information.
Also, the way you are storing it now is ok!, the plastic cap isn't a problem.

Last edited:

Most Reactions