Thebrave

May 8, 2018
Hi -

I promise I am not grilling my bird!!

I'm excited as I found two parrots who need rehoming, a Senegal (2, M) and Eclectus (4, M). I am only able to take one of them home at this time, and I'm meeting both current owners to see if the personalities mesh well with my own! All goes well, I'll have a birdy friend to absorb all the love I can't shower Coda with anymore now that he's in chillin' in Paradise. I truly hope I get to bring one of them home!

But, I just wanted to hop on here with a question about some cooking. My in-laws, who I live with, love to grill every now and then. Sometimes it's an event, other times not so much. To preface, I've always erred on the side of caution when it came to Coda. When they grilled, I made sure all the windows were closed and that the sliding door was closed too. His cage and play stand, which let him be a part of all the action, was in the living room near the sliding door. That is still the best place for the cage and stand.

They use a charcoal grill and some lighter fluid if needed and they grill at the far corner of the outside patio, a good 9 feet or so away from where the cage is. While they grill, my best practice has been to keep all the windows and sliding doors closed closest to the grill. It seemed to work for my Coda, but not sure if I should do something different.

The future alternative is to keep him in my niece's room (the Furthest room in the house) until the grilling is over, then bring him back out to the living room where everyone will be when the food's done cooking/everyone's done eating, if, of course, it's not overwhelming for the little guy. I'll likely allow it for as long as he's comfortable enough with me and willing to socialize with others.

#1 - If I kept him around the living room, closed windows and all, while the grill died down and we were all conversing, would it be okay? I can set up an air purifier in his play area if anyone has suggestions.

#2 - My in-law has some non-stick things they're willing to part with, but I'd like to replace them and came across this set. I was going to replace it with Caraway, but this seems like a better deal and option. Has anyone had any personal experience with this brand? NutriChef pots and pans - from what I looked at, it's safe to use around birds. Please take a look at the link and let me know if I missed anything! I don't want this to be the hill I die on of all things. I'm so careful, it's definitely paranoia.

#3 - Free flight is a dream, but not realistic where I am since there are several animals of prey out here. I would like to, however, allow him the chance to train for flying in a tent of sorts outside. I've seen Bird Tricks use a batting cage netting set up. I've selected one I would get because the netting seems a bit tighter though I'm going to throw a layer of mosquito netting over too. He's going to have free flight indoors also and the intent is to harness and carrier train so I can take them with me on daily walks and/or quick errands with a nice drive (we're out in the scenic boonies, I call it). While I would love a bird room or outdoor aviary, all our rooms are spoken for right now and I like the idea of being able to put away the flying space when winter hits. Here are some things on my wish list for the outdoors, but does anyone else have another suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sorry bud, those non-stick cookwares look exactly like the cheap crap coming out of China, and who knows WAHT they have on them. Nonstick coatings are funny - manufacturers can change one single molecule in the formula and say, rightly, it does not contain teflon or PFOA or all the other crazy acronyms, but they are just as deadly to your parrot. Stainless steel or actual ceramic coatings are OK. This junk - I wouldn't even trust it to not harm ME!

OP
T

Thebrave

May 8, 2018
Sorry bud, those non-stick cookwares look exactly like the cheap crap coming out of China, and who knows WAHT they have on them. Nonstick coatings are funny - manufacturers can change one single molecule in the formula and say, rightly, it does not contain teflon or PFOA or all the other crazy acronyms, but they are just as deadly to your parrot. Stainless steel or actual ceramic coatings are OK. This junk - I wouldn't even trust it to not harm ME!

I was worried so, and just wanted to see if anyone had some experience with them. thanks for the advice! We have some stainless steel and can do with more ceramics!

Most Reactions

Latest posts