Is my bird plucking?

Leo2008h

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek
Crimson Belly
I am a bit concerned about my Pineapple GGC. Recently I think he has devoloped some plucking on his chest. Idk if this is something that needs action or I let my bird work itself out. I have ruled out disease because I have a Crimson Belly and it would have spread to him by now. I am not sure if he is stressed, because wouldn't they both be feeling stressed. They come out of the cage all the time, they only spend time in it to eat and sleep. I started to notice this like 5 days ago. Then again its just a few feathers that have seem to be gone. Maybe it will grow back. I am concerned and wanted to speak with someone who may be more knowledgable then me. What should I do?

Attachments

• D9874355-1218-4306-9539-662BEF155F6A.jpg
    D9874355-1218-4306-9539-662BEF155F6A.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 37

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I am a bit concerned about my Pineapple GGC. Recently I think he has devoloped some plucking on his chest. Idk if this is something that needs action or I let my bird work itself out. I have ruled out disease because I have a Crimson Belly and it would have spread to him by now. I am not sure if he is stressed, because wouldn't they both be feeling stressed. They come out of the cage all the time, they only spend time in it to eat and sleep. I started to notice this like 5 days ago. Then again its just a few feathers that have seem to be gone. Maybe it will grow back. I am concerned and wanted to speak with someone who may be more knowledgable then me. What should I do?
Unfortunately it looks like plucking to me.
Well, he could still have a medical problem that isn’t contagious that’s exclusive to him.
Something like a problem in his organs or a dietary deficiency.
It could be environmental but it’s best to rule out a medical issue first via a blood panel.
The feathers will grow back but a bird should do such extensive damage very quickly like this.
Sorry you’re going through this!

OP
L

Leo2008h

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek
Crimson Belly
Thanks for the quick reply. I will probably take him to an avian vet asap. Do you know what I could do in the as an individual. This has been stressing me out this whole week :(

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Thanks for the quick reply. I will probably take him to an avian vet asap. Do you know what I could do in the as an individual. This has been stressing me out this whole week :(
Plucking is stressful for everyone involved, I’ve been dealing with my own green cheek Tom barbering his feathers.
Some of the things I’ve done to combat this, other than seeing an Avian vet who said it was environmental.
Supply him with plenty of materials to destroy, things like balsa wood, thin pine slats, sola, vine shapes, paper, mahogany pods etc.
Make sure he’s getting 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
What’s his diet like?
How many baths does he take a week? At minimum 2-3 is enough but more is always best. I bathe my birds every other day.

OP
L

Leo2008h

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek
Crimson Belly
Recently I noticed that he has been taking less baths. I have been trying to encourage him, but I am not sure. I would 60% pellets. 30% fruits/vegetables, and 10% nuts/seeds. I mean I don't think they get 12 hours tho. I would say they sleep from like 9:00 pm to 7:00 am. But I can't really change that scedule cuz thats when I wake up to get to school.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Recently I noticed that he has been taking less baths. I have been trying to encourage him, but I am not sure. I would 60% pellets. 30% fruits/vegetables, and 10% nuts/seeds. I mean I don't think they get 12 hours tho. I would say they sleep from like 9:00 pm to 7:00 am. But I can't really change that scedule cuz thats when I wake up to get to school.
I would say 10 hours is the minimum amount of sleep so that should be fine.
What pellet does he eat?
If you want to encourage him to bathe, the best way I’ve found is to spray a misting spray bottle above them and let the mist fall down on them.

OP
L

Leo2008h

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek
Crimson Belly
Ok thank you. The pellets are Harrisons. I tried mist, but they get stress out and run. But they come into the shower with me they get a lot of steam and they really enjoy it.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Ok thank you. The pellets are Harrisons. I tried mist, but they get stress out and run. But they come into the shower with me they get a lot of steam and they really enjoy it.
Oh okay, that’s good that they shower with you. The steam is still getting their feathers wet.
Harrison’s is a good pellet.
How much of 30% fruit/vegetables is fruit?

Most Reactions