ethanol

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure
I’ve made a few posts on here about my sun conure as he is my first “larger” bird and want to get advice from the more experienced. Lately Ive noticed his chest is larger and today noticed a bald spot. Is he plucking? Is there something underlying? He goes to the vet monthly for his scissor beak and I asked about his chest but she had no concerns after examining.

Hes also showing weird (not his normal weird) behaviors like the wing flicking and smooth head bobbing as seen in video. Im also attaching photos of him from last year. I got him end of march of 23 and these span maybe three months after.

My only suspicion is the new edition to our flock. They just began sharing a room (not a cage) around the beginning of the year. l do have the means to keep them in separate rooms which is unfortunate

Attachments

• IMG_1561.mov
    5.4 MB
  • IMG_1351.png
    IMG_1351.png
    443.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1339.png
    IMG_1339.png
    374.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1342.png
    IMG_1342.png
    426.5 KB · Views: 9

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Honestly, looking at the video, I would have him checked out by a fully qualified Avian Vet. I see 2 unnaturally bare spots and a very large crop area. He may be plucking because of internal problems. And I would not wait.

OP
E

ethanol

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure
Honestly, looking at the video, I would have him checked out by a fully qualified Avian Vet. I see 2 unnaturally bare spots and a very large crop area. He may be plucking because of internal problems. And I would not wait.
schedule for today .. at a different vet since my other one seemed to not find a problem 😞

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
As mentioned by the others, this should really be seen by a vet. There could be an issue with the bird's crop which could cause the stress causing the plucking.

Most Reactions

Latest posts