Is my cockatiel molting??

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a male cockatiel named Kiko and should be around the age or 8-9 months.

Yesterday, Kiko was fledging on my brotherā€™s shoulder and he flew down rlly fast, and made a squeak sound. (I think he hit something ?)

After that, I noticed that his wing was bleeding. When I examined his wing, I noticed there a big pin feather that was bleeding. I waited for a little bit and the bleeding stopped on itā€™s own within minutes and after around 30 min Kiko went back to normal. Today when I examined it again, I noticed that at the tip of the pin, there is a little fluffy feather poking out. I have noticed that pin feather has been there for a couple of weeks now, but I never saw the little fluffy one poking out of it.

Another thing that happened yesterday was that I found 2 feathers, one in the basement and one near his cage. A few moments ago he was playing with my dad on his shoulder, and when he hopped I saw another little fluffy feather on my dads shoulder. (Pic below)

Is this a sign of moulting?? He is at that age šŸ¤” Can someone provide some tips on how to make sure he goes through this with ease and no pain/irritation? His pin feather bled yesterday, meaning the pin feathers must be very sensitive and shouldnā€™t be touched until matured. Kiko is quite rough on his feathers. Iā€™m afraid heā€™s going to make himself bleed again!

Thank you to anyone who replies :) šŸ’—

Attachments

• 2725EA5E-FB16-4221-927D-2200A154A765.jpeg
    2725EA5E-FB16-4221-927D-2200A154A765.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 66
OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a male cockatiel named Kiko and should be around the age or 8-9 months.

Yesterday, Kiko was fledging on my brotherā€™s shoulder and he flew down rlly fast, and made a squeak sound. (I think he hit something ?)

After that, I noticed that his wing was bleeding. When I examined his wing, I noticed there a big pin feather that was bleeding. I waited for a little bit and the bleeding stopped on itā€™s own within minutes and after around 30 min Kiko went back to normal. Today when I examined it again, I noticed that at the tip of the pin, there is a little fluffy feather poking out. I have noticed that pin feather has been there for a couple of weeks now, but I never saw the little fluffy one poking out of it.

Another thing that happened yesterday was that I found 2 feathers, one in the basement and one near his cage. A few moments ago he was playing with my dad on his shoulder, and when he hopped I saw another little fluffy feather on my dads shoulder. (Pic below)

Is this a sign of moulting?? He is at that age šŸ¤” Can someone provide some tips on how to make sure he goes through this with ease and no pain/irritation? His pin feather bled yesterday, meaning the pin feathers must be very sensitive and shouldnā€™t be touched until matured. Kiko is quite rough on his feathers. Iā€™m afraid heā€™s going to make himself bleed again!

Thank you to anyone who replies :) šŸ’—
** something I was wondering about is that when a cockatiel or bird moults, how many feathers does it lose at a time? If the bird forms bald spots or is losing A LOT of feathers at once, is this normal or concerning? I need to know this so I know if I need to take him to the vet IF this happens.

Another thing I wanted to know is what does a matured pin feather look like? I do know that once it is ready, you can help your bird by gently rolling the feather between your fingers to break off that keratin, but WHEN is it ready to do that?

I also saw some pics online (inserted below, but donā€™t look if it will disturb you) of budgies with scary pin feathers on their heads and bald spots. That looks painful! Will it happen to Kiko?

Attachments

• DF1FAC6C-62DC-4A58-8426-2AAAB821972D.jpeg
    DF1FAC6C-62DC-4A58-8426-2AAAB821972D.jpeg
    13 KB · Views: 65
  • 2EEA7D41-B1B4-4840-B359-004D78574380.jpeg
    2EEA7D41-B1B4-4840-B359-004D78574380.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 63
  • A3F46F99-006B-4FA3-92EC-27A5A061F4EC.jpeg
    A3F46F99-006B-4FA3-92EC-27A5A061F4EC.jpeg
    13.9 KB · Views: 61

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
When Phoenix molted it was always in pairs. If he lost a wing feather the same one on the other wing would drop as well. I am guessing to keep his flight balanced. Same thing with his tail. When he lost one the corresponding one on the other side would drop as well. Assuming still a balance issue. Now his body is a different story. These feathers dropped randomly. He molted twice a year. I don't have a air conditioner so he got to feel real seasonal temperature changes. Basically year round the little under feathers typically white in color would be changing while the main color feathers rarely would drop.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
When Phoenix molted it was always in pairs. If he lost a wing feather the same one on the other wing would drop as well. I am guessing to keep his flight balanced. Same thing with his tail. When he lost one the corresponding one on the other side would drop as well. Assuming still a balance issue. Now his body is a different story. These feathers dropped randomly. He molted twice a year. I don't have a air conditioner so he got to feel real seasonal temperature changes. Basically year round the little under feathers typically white in color would be changing while the main color feathers rarely would drop.
Thatā€™s interesting that they dropped in pairs! For us, I donā€™t know where the feather dropped from, but they were all small feathers.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It seems like the contour (small body) feathers fall out kind of randomly throughout the year, maybe more at spring or fall, but the primary and secondary wing and tail feathers are molted in pairs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts