Is my parrot sick?

N

Nnbal

Hello. I have a 1 year old Harlequin Macaw. His name is Pasa. He sneezes especially at night.For example, 3 days does not sneeze at all, 1 day sneezes heavily. Its current is ignored. Light colored He eats well. He is very happy. It has no other problems. Just sneezing. Our vet gave antibiotics. We used. But it did not pass. I bought an air filter in his room. Humidity level about 45%. I clean his room every 2 days. What do you think could be the problem. Please help me.Thanks:💎:eek:
He's here

Attachments

• Collage_20210402_172152_resized_20210426_100420428.jpg
    Collage_20210402_172152_resized_20210426_100420428.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20201203_154834.jpg
    IMG_20201203_154834.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 72

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It always helps to provide a general location when asking about an illness especially when related to breathing.

Please remember that after following a course of medication, the Vet always stated if you see a continuation of, or your Parrot is still have a problem, please call. Have you called your Vet back? As part of a Vet visit, there is alway a document that defines what the Parrot is being seen for, what was found, the tests preformed and/or medication provided and if a follow-up visit should or is required.

Sneezing can be common depending on the time of year as general dryness can cause them to sneeze.

What is the spider webbing in the back ground, which appears to be on the cage. If that is the artificial stuff, please removed it.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Sneezing can also be cause be irritants in the air (chemicals, perfumes, air fresheners, standard cleaners etc). Aspergillosis and viruses are other potential causes as well, as is respiratory hypersensitivity syndrome- https://thegabrielfoundation.org/education-2/health-wellness/macaw-respiratory-hypersensitivity/

is there discharge when he sneezes?

***Does your purifier have an "ion", "ionic", "ionizing", or "sanitize" setting? If so, this setting must be turned OFF (if it cannot be, stop using it and get a different one). Ozone produced by ionizing/sanitizing purifiers can harm their respiratory systems, so these settings are not appropriate for birds if they cannot be turned off. The ozone and charged particles stay in your home and get kicked up during cleaning etc.

Also, what brand of purifier and filter are you using? The cheaper ones really don't do much. Is yours a "true hepa" filter?

Last edited:

Most Reactions