May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Basically the question. I bought a 'budgie safe' flower mix (to use for a dry mix I'm making), and the only *possibly bad* ingredient is peppermint. Some sources say it's perfectly safe and actually healthy, some say it will cause dehydration, and weaken immunity. So, is peppermint safe???

Koko_the_fluf

Oct 16, 2021
Media
Seoul, South Korea
Parrots
Koko (green cheeked cinnamon conure gotcha date 5.18 2020)
Here is what I found on the web:

Peppermint is toxic to parrots and toxins can increase the chances of disease. Harmful foods for parrots can have a massive impact on the bird’s immune system. The parrot’s immune system is made up of lots of different cells which helps them protect themselves from bacteria and viruses.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Basically the question. I bought a 'budgie safe' flower mix (to use for a dry mix I'm making), and the only *possibly bad* ingredient is peppermint. Some sources say it's perfectly safe and actually healthy, some say it will cause dehydration, and weaken immunity. So, is peppermint safe???
Mint is used for a number of digestive discomforts from nausea to indigestion, but it has stimulant properties and it is best that it not be used right before bedtime. The leaves can be serves fresh or steeped to make a tea. Dilute full strength tea with plain water (1/4 tea with 1 cup water). If you have a bird that takes a special interest in your chewing gum or toothpaste, he will enjoy mints leaves.

I found this on the Birdtricks website.

I think in small amounts, mint is totally fine. If it's a main part of the diet of course that isn't good, no one item should be most of the diet. Too much of one thing is bad.

Can you share the link/ingredient list of the flower mix?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I think when you look up is peppermint safe for parrots most of the things that come up are talking about peppermint oil. Any essential oil is dangerous but I watch a few parrot youtubers, like SophietheBirdNerd, WarGamingParrot, MikeyandMia, and it says peppermint or mint leaves are safe on the birdtricks website.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I think when you look up is peppermint safe for parrots most of the things that come up are talking about peppermint oil. Any essential oil is dangerous but I watch a few parrot youtubers, like SophietheBirdNerd, WarGamingParrot, MikeyandMia, and it says peppermint or mint leaves are safe on the birdtricks website.
Hmm, so I guess I can give some peppermint sparingly in their dry mix?

Most Reactions

Latest posts