Is There a Better Way?

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I have read that some people feed their large birds outside the cage to avoid mess in and on the cage. Fred had homemade Baked Beans for supper tonight, and I'm pleased to report that he thoroughly enjoyed it! I'm not pleased to report that I spent a long time cleaning the mess up. I had to wash his perches as well, as he wiped his mouth often! LOL! Is there an easier way to feed messy foods?

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hey Sharon, for Quincy when I feed him messy food, beans, pasta, rice, messy fruits and veggies I use his T-perch that has cups on each end, for the Too's I feed them on top of their cage which is a half a playpen type, it makes clean up so much easier, when it comes to pellets I feed those in the morning in their feed cups inside the cage, I don't think most birds really care where they eat, but I'm sure there with be the occasional prima donna :)

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Our birds get food in their cages, on their perches and on the table with us. We have dogs, so they clean the floors pretty well. I haven't really found a "clean" way to keep the mess off the walls/curtains/etc.

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Thanks guys!:) No dogs here anymore...I may have to get one! Just kidding!

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
I have blue-tacked a large, thin towel on the wall above the cage, and to feed Scarlett I put a piece of newspaper on top of the cage with her fruit in a heavy ceramic bowl on top. The newspaper catches the 'discarded' bits of fruit that she drops outside the bowl and the towel catches the bits that fly off her beak when she shakes her head. She has also gotten into the habit of wiping her beak on the towel instead of the cage. Totally mess-free!

Vivica

Sep 7, 2010
Philadelphia PA
Parrots
1 15 year old Golden Capped Conure Named Wrnts
on a towel seems like the way to go. They're going to try and make a mess sometimes, because it's fun, but overall I guess that's your best bet.

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Oh well...it's just the nature of the beast, I guess! I don't really mind, as it's not that bad. I do a daily wipe down, and that takes care of most of the mess. I did hang some fleece strips in the cage about a month ago. It's only taken a month for Fred to start wiping his beak on it:rolleyes:...he was afraid of it for a long time!

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
He is indeed! He's got such a big attitude sometimes, but he's really such a wuss! I rearranged the sleep room yesterday, and Fred was the only one who seemed to have a bit of a problem. When I brought him out for breakfast, he skipped the stick perch, and hopped on my arm as if he was being rescued from the scary cage that moved two feet!!!!:D

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
He sounds like Forest, if I just move one plant out of his room he will sulk until I put it back - even the dead plant! When we moved homes it was a HUGE problem, we did not change his cage but of course the area changed. It took 2 MONTHS before he settled in and stopped hiding and being afraid. He also hardly touched his food during his time.

We must just live with it because they wont change. :rolleyes: I hope you never move homes or that Fred changes owners because it will seriously stress him.

They are the special ones.:D

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
The funny thing is that he changed homes fairly easily. I got him in June, and he had no adjustment problems, that I could see. It's odd!

Most Reactions

Latest posts