is this book too outdated?

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
i got this book and i thinks its pretty good but i don't know if it is very outdated, it was published in 1991
has anyone got this book and know if its still fairly up to date?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Would be better to look for a current Avian Medical Book. As there has been major changes in Avian Health care over the last 30 years. Ask your Avian Medical Professional!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have all those books. The clinical avian medicine and surgery by Harrison etc. is quite technical. You can find an abridged version (a heavy paperback) which I bought in school and I still find useful. That’s from about 2000. The unabridged hardback version I bought when I misplaced the paperback.

I think “the parrot in health and illness” is still useful information. You mostly need to keep in mind that info about vaccines and treatments will be outdated somewhat. But otherwise there’s a lot of good info. One runs into the problem of outdated info in any layman’s book. Seems to me that only up to date textbooks and journal articles will have completely ‘right’ info.

Another older book I think I still have, and like, was called “feeding your pet bird” by Petra Something. Helped me plan balanced and less allergenic diets for rescued plucking parrots. But from about 2000 I think.

Always question any info you see in a book that doesn’t seem right. Authors are not God and their book are not flawless.

Last edited:

Most Reactions