Is this Rosella Hybrid possible?

Nosari Viper

Nov 13, 2022
Parrots
I donā€™t have any, but I am looking to get one.
I was wandering if a Hybrid between a Crimson Rosella and a Blue-rumped parrot is possible? They are part of 2 different Subfamilies, but are part of the same family, I have seen pictures on the Internet of a Rainbow Lorikeet and a Crimson Rosella Hybrid but Iā€™m not sure if it is real, the Rainbow lorikeet is also in a different Subfamily than the Crimson Rosella, also I have heard of Hybrids between different Subfamilies. This is the link to the Crimson Rosella and Rainbow Lorikeet Hybrid I was also talking about:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
theres a slim chance, but I would highly suggest against any sort of hybridization. Hybrids, especially between such different families, rarely survive and if they do they frequently have many health issues.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I was wandering if a Hybrid between a Crimson Rosella and a Blue-rumped parrot is possible? They are part of 2 different Subfamilies, but are part of the same family, I have seen pictures on the Internet of a Rainbow Lorikeet and a Crimson Rosella Hybrid but Iā€™m not sure if it is real, the Rainbow lorikeet is also in a different Subfamily than the Crimson Rosella, also I have heard of Hybrids between different Subfamilies. This is the link to the Crimson Rosella and Rainbow Lorikeet Hybrid I was also talking about:
Blue rumped parrot x rosella - no, it's impossible, according to the current classification - they are from two different families (Psittacidae and Psittaculidae)

Rainbow lorikeet and crimson rosella are in one family (Psittaculidae) and in two different subfamilies - Platycercinae and Loriinae

I see, this Pic was uploaded by @MonicaMc , so I believe it's a real hybrid (she is a hybrid expert)

OP
N

Nosari Viper

Nov 13, 2022
Parrots
Blue rumped parrot x rosella - no, it's impossible, according to the current classification - they are from two different families (Psittacidae and Psittaculidae)

Rainbow lorikeet and crimson rosella are in one family (Psittaculidae) and in two different subfamilies - Platycercinae and Loriinae

I see, this Pic was uploaded by @MonicaMc , so I believe it's a real hybrid (she is a hybrid expert)

Thank you Rozalka, but I just checked again Blue-rumped parrot is in the same family it is in the subfamily Psittaculinae the scientific name of the parrot is Psittinus cyanurus

OP
N

Nosari Viper

Nov 13, 2022
Parrots
theres a slim chance, but I would highly suggest against any sort of hybridization. Hybrids, especially between such different families, rarely survive and if they do they frequently have many health issues.
Thank you

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure

Thank you Rozalka, but I just checked again Blue-rumped parrot is in the same family it is in the subfamily Psittaculinae the scientific name of the parrot is Psittinus cyanurus

I have no idea why I thought it was a neotropical parrot species šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø After 2 years (then I was writing something about them) somehow I forgot that it is an Asian species (maybe I was confused by a blue bellied parrot)

Anyway, if there is any chance for a hybrid, it's extremely low, on Avibase I don't see any existing hybrids of this species

OP
N

Nosari Viper

Nov 13, 2022
Parrots
I have no idea why I thought it was a neotropical parrot species šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø After 2 years (then I was writing something about them) somehow I forgot that it is an Asian species (maybe I was confused by a blue bellied parrot)

Anyway, if there is any chance for a hybrid, it's extremely low, on Avibase I don't see any existing hybrids of this species
Mistakes happen itā€™s ok and thank you

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I saw a photo of a Galah and a cockatiel hybrid. That seems kinda difficult but I think it resulted in a cute bird.

OP
N

Nosari Viper

Nov 13, 2022
Parrots
I saw a photo of a Galah and a cockatiel hybrid. That seems kinda difficult but I think it resulted in a cute bird.
Thank you for your reply and the info

Most Reactions

Latest posts