Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hey guys!

Some of you know I have a pineapple Gcc Tom; I know I've made threads before about his hormones and such but the past week has been really challenging.
I don't know his exact age when I got him, probably 4-6 months old so that would make him somewhere around 1yr. and 9mo. old give or take.
I thought he already went through his first hormones but now I'm not so sure.

Normally before bed he likes me to cuddle him, that entails me opening his cage door and normally he would jump on one of my hands and lean against the other, they used to be good and happy but now, especially the past week he does the same up until my other hand comes up and then he bites the other hand as hard as he can multiple times which leads to me putting him down and not cuddling him because I don't wanna get bit.
It hurts to be bitten a lot more for me right now because I've been washing my hands 10+ times a day (ah the joys of multiple species!) which causes my finger tips to crack and bleed and it's like he knows they hurt and bites them specifically!
I know he's just going for the spot that looks different but darn!
He been nipping more too, when hes out, he likes to play with me by laying on my lap on his back which was normally gentle and he just lightly played back but now its full CHOMP!

Anyways sorry, a rant, it's just tough, I know it's hormones I've just gotta wait them out.
I'm minimizing causes, he gets 12-13 hours of sleep (though he's up playing half the night!!!)
No excess sugar, I'm still letting him have some though, like half a blueberry or a little strawberry 2-3 times a week.
Of course no dark nesty spots.

Not really a question of a thread, just wanted to rant! Sorry lol 😊

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Have near zero experience with this Parrot species and as a result have little to offer short of sorry to hear of this problem.

I do think that it is important to state that Hormones effect different Parrot species very differently and what must be put into place with one species may have little effect on others.

Your comments regarding the conditions of your fingers maybe of importances as Parrots will attempt to groom and it is possible they may become overly aggressive at removing dry skin. Not saying it is an answer but something to think about. Consider asking your Health Care Professional regarding what products they are using.

Last edited:
OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Have near zero experience with this Parrot species and as a result have little of offer short of sorry to hear of this problem.

I do think that it is important to state that Hormones effect different Parrot species very differently and what must be put into place with one species may have little effect on others.

Your comments regarding the conditions of your fingers maybe of importances as Parrots will attempt to groom and it is possible they may become overly aggressive at removing dry skin. Not saying it is an answer but something to think about. Consider asking your Health Care Professional regarding what products they are using.
I've been trying natural soaps with no harmful chemicals and it seems to help some.
I try to remember to put coconut oil or Lubriderm on them too everyday.
I hate to basically set something tempting yet perfectly natural in front of Tom and expect him not to do something and then he just does what he thinks he's supposed to do and then he gets put down or told 'be nice' or 'no'

I'll look into more gentle products, hopefully that helps!

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
I could be way off base on this. But is there ANYTHING new in the environment? Pancho will occasionally act scared of my hands, which is out of character, and if I look around there is something he doesn't recognize laying around. Remove it and he calms down.
He's done this with our outside dog that we let in for a night due to cold. He's done it over a shopping bag sitting on the table next to his cage and a piece of luggage on the couch.
This may or may not be the case with your birdie, but may be worth a thought.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I could be way off base on this. But is there ANYTHING new in the environment? Pancho will occasionally act scared of my hands, which is out of character, and if I look around there is something he doesn't recognize laying around. Remove it and he calms down.
He's done this with our outside dog that we let in for a night due to cold. He's done it over a shopping bag sitting on the table next to his cage and a piece of luggage on the couch.
This may or may not be the case with your birdie, but may be worth a thought.
I don't think so, whenever there's something new that he's scared of he isn't subtle about it, he starts alarm calling until I make it disappear or show him its not gonna hurt him.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I take it back! He's been the sweetest boy yesterday and today! Lol, hasn't hardly nipped me or anything, maybe he has been sneaking on my computer at night reading what I'm saying about him...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Maybe Tom is relating to each hand as a separate entity? Or maybe he is overexcited and biting just to bite. My experience with a gcc showed that they got too wound up and bit out of excitement.

My Quaker also picks at skin injuries and wants to groom my fingernails. He snaps them which gets sensitive or painful. But he insists that he must have bodily contact with some part of me or he gets upset. If I stop letting him cuddle or stop grooming I get nipped and he begins complaining and flipping his wings. I try different solutions as answers to his bad mood and also remember that maybe he just wants to go back to his house?

This is where talking is so helpful. Though it’s odd to be bossed around by a parrot it works better than the alternative of screaming and biting. Gosh, I wish Willow were a talker.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Sometimes it does seem like he doesn't want the other hand to pet him while the other is. While playing (he likes to roll on his back and 'wrestle') he might nip out of excitement then I give him a few seconds compose himself.
I wish he could just talk to me and tell me what he wants! That would be so easy!
So far, his vocabulary is 'That's good' 'Kiss' and 'Burd' mostly but not in any kind of context.

Most Reactions

Latest posts