OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
LOL, now that's funny. Salty does that trick, it's probably one, if not his most hated, of the tricks he does. He lets go for a count of 2 at most before he swings his head around to give a light nip on the finger to say "ENUF ALREADY". By way of distracting him, once he is on his back in my hand, I give his body a very light squeeze twice; it tells him that yeah this is the trick and not something strange I am going to do to him, and it distracts him for a few seconds.

I saw a video of a parrot show act, where the guy had trained 3 macaws to lie perfectly still and stiff like that as he JUGGLED them. Now , that's a trick!!

But how did you ever get him to let go of your finger for even the 2 seconds? Maya is all about 'Trust, but verify.' Lol! She'll trust me to lay her on her back in my hand for as long as I'd like... but she darn sure isn't ceding complete control! One foot death-gripped on the finger at all times. Ha!

And juggling macaws? Hahahahaha! That's a whole other level! Can you imagine their reactions the very first time? Lol!

Btw Al, this month's theme is right up your and Salty's alley! Will we be seeing a submission from you two?

Amy will lay in my palm but both feet have to be gripping his perch stick.

Yep, Amy and Maya are obviously part of the same union! Lol!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah, I'm really on the fence about submitting for this month. Kinda like a contest for the most colorful parrot and someone showing up with a multi generational hybrid macaw with the the full rainbow spectrum of colors. Gotta think about it some.

I got Salty to let go, by first doing what you are doing, getting him on his back, again, every night duriing training session, and then giving him that little 2X squeeze to distract him. Over time, he paid more attention to that then to hanging on. He still is not fond of this trick and he only stays put for a few seconds before he reaches around for the Enough Already warning finger hold. Some tricks he learns eagerly and quickly, like playing darts, most pick and place tricks, and a new wooden puzzle one thats really hard, and some he either dislikes, like the laying on his back or anything to do with color matching ( I think he is just F-ing with me, theres no way after 100's of times he doesn't know red is red!). Lots of tricks are more just desensitizing him to the actual trick prop itself and not the trick. Hardness training was like that. Maya is a smart cookie for sure, I'm sure with the right technique you can get her to let go.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Yeah, I'm really on the fence about submitting for this month. Kinda like a contest for the most colorful parrot and someone showing up with a multi generational hybrid macaw with the the full rainbow spectrum of colors. Gotta think about it some.

I got Salty to let go, by first doing what you are doing, getting him on his back, again, every night duriing training session, and then giving him that little 2X squeeze to distract him. Over time, he paid more attention to that then to hanging on. He still is not fond of this trick and he only stays put for a few seconds before he reaches around for the Enough Already warning finger hold. Some tricks he learns eagerly and quickly, like playing darts, most pick and place tricks, and a new wooden puzzle one thats really hard, and some he either dislikes, like the laying on his back or anything to do with color matching ( I think he is just F-ing with me, theres no way after 100's of times he doesn't know red is red!). Lots of tricks are more just desensitizing him to the actual trick prop itself and not the trick. Hardness training was like that. Maya is a smart cookie for sure, I'm sure with the right technique you can get her to let go.

Nah, no need to hesitate over that, Al. Remember, it's not a contest over which bird has the best tricks. Or the most. It's sharing the training experience, itself. Spectacular successes and epic failures alike. Some entries will make members gasp in amazement. Others will make them howl with laughter. The choice will be based on which pic or video vibes with the individual viewer, know what I mean? For instance, I'm still dying to see a video of Amy pelting Jim with beak-tossed foods! Training gold!

And thanks for the advice on getting Maya to let go. I'll give those methods a try and see what pops. Love that little diva!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
OK, so these are JFF submissions.

The first one is Salty learning to walk thru a ring back and forth. That was the original trick. He all of a sudden took thinkgs in his own hands and started to do this; view video.
I did NOT teach him this.
Oct 2016

[ame="https://youtu.be/oBwGIwo4SCU"]
oBwGIwo4SCU
[/ame]

After awhile, he taught himself this:
Feb 2017

[ame="https://youtu.be/ZbYPBr4emts"]https://youtu.be/ZbYPBr4emts[/ame]
ZbYPBr4emts

Now he does this 2 ways, this way and he balances the ring on edge and walks thru it, again something I did NOT teach him. Gotta get a vid of him doing both, we call the flip the Old School way, LOL.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Al, your work with Salty is phenomenal. Rare synthesis of genius trainer and gifted student!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Al, your work with Salty is phenomenal. Rare synthesis of genius trainer and gifted student!

couldn't say it better! Excellent training, excellent student, excellent trust
Most excellent videos!!! Always in awe!

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Cloudy has only recently gone from landing on my head, taking treats, giving kisses now, and lastly steps from my head to my hand. Hard to capture in pic. But I got one! Afraid after having to grab him and medicate him and the whole flock....I might loose this progress..
laurasea-albums-keets-picture22983-20210108-164443.jpg

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)

The first one is Salty learning to walk thru a ring back and forth. That was the original trick. He all of a sudden took thinkgs in his own hands and started to do this; view video.
Oct 2016

Feb 2017

https://youtu.be/ZbYPBr4emts
ZbYPBr4emts

Now he does this 2 ways, this way and he balances the ring on edge and walks thru it, again something I did NOT teach him. Gotta get a vid of him doing both, we call the flip the Old School way, LOL.

I can't accept these as JFF Al...Please submit for POTM...Please....I don't care about rainbow colours...I like GREEN fellas lol :D

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots

Oct 2016

Feb 2017

https://youtu.be/ZbYPBr4emts
ZbYPBr4emts

These are exceptional, Al! I love watching Salty puzzle out how to walk through the ring himself, so that he can take his treat-earning into his own hands. Shows a head for tricks AND a head for business! You've got a little entrepreneur on your hands!

Cloudy has only recently gone from landing on my head, taking treats, giving kisses now, and lastly steps from my head to my hand. Hard to capture in pic. But I got one! Afraid after having to grab him and medicate him and the whole flock....I might loose this progress..
laurasea-albums-keets-picture22983-20210108-164443.jpg

How awesome is that! I love hearing stories that illustrate that kind of progression of trust. A testament to your patience and consistency as a parront, Laura.

And I completely understand your fear of losing such hard-fought progress. I'd feel the same way in your shoes. And while there might be a setback, I don't doubt you'd be able to regain lost ground soon enough.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

***Just for fun!***
Repeated efforts teaching Gabby to fly from downstairs bird room up a curved flight of steps. Managed to capture in-flight images with basic point-n-shoot digital camera. Images roughly 15 years old when she was 10 years young.
Multiple images from same "chop" day, hence pomegranate stains on feet and beak! Reward for flight was small piece of almond, her favorite treat.​

6fuzmmM.jpg

j0YUKxd.jpg

QunMA3r.jpg

Last edited:

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
In April 2009 Chevrolet reintroduced the arrival of the Camaro nameplate back to their product lineup. Some forty 2010 Orange Metallic Camaros rumbled through streets of Dallas with a police motorcade. It was the first large-scale Camaro event.

A leading sponsor of the car club I am in was a host, taking delivery of the first units in Dallas and playing an instrumental roll in the marketing event.

The dealership’s general manager at the time had a blue and gold as well as an African Gray. Both clipped. Having reflected over the years on Meisha's open air and facility flight training, the GM requested I bring Meisha to his showroom prior to the parade as he wanted to shoot video of her flying over the Camaros. I snapped these two frames on completion:

Young-Chev-2-IMG-0533-v2.png

Young-Chev-1-IMG-0530-v2.png

In a do-over, I would request a copy of the video he shared with his Chevrolet corporate associates.

Briefs of the event can be found @:
Camaros Take Dallas
Shades of Orange

Just for the Fun of It!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
In April 2009 Chevrolet reintroduced the arrival of the Camaro nameplate back to their product lineup. Some forty 2010 Orange Metallic Camaros rumbled through streets of Dallas with a police motorcade. It was the first large-scale Camaro event.

A leading sponsor of the car club I am in was a host, taking delivery of the first units in Dallas and playing an instrumental roll in the marketing event.

The dealership’s general manager at the time had a blue and gold as well as an African Gray. Both clipped. Having reflected over the years on Meisha's open air and facility flight training, the GM requested I bring Meisha to his showroom prior to the parade as he wanted to shoot video of her flying over the Camaros. I snapped these two frames on completion:

In a do-over, I would request a copy of the video he shared with his Chevrolet corporate associates.

Camaros Take Dallas
Shades of Orange
Just for the Fun of It!

And, highly likely your Too was questioning how did they get all those horses in this small area??? :D

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
***Just for fun!***
Repeated efforts teaching Gabby to fly from downstairs bird room up a curved flight of steps. Managed to capture in-flight images with basic point-n-shoot digital camera. Images roughly 15 years old when she was 10 years young.
Multiple images from same day, hence pomegranate stains on feet and beak!​

6fuzmmM.jpg

j0YUKxd.jpg

QunMA3r.jpg

Always love the frontal view of a Parrot in flight, as they have that angelic appearance... :D

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
***Just for fun!***
Multiple images from same "chop" day, hence pomegranate stains on feet and beak! Reward for flight was small piece of almond, her favorite treat.​

6fuzmmM.jpg

j0YUKxd.jpg

QunMA3r.jpg

Go, Gabby!!! I just love shots of birds in flight! Beautiful! And what amazing shots! I know the challenge of teaching a bird to fly to you from around the corner, so I'm celebrating that victory with you, brother! (Albeit 15 years later.)

Camaros Take Dallas
Shades of Orange

Just for the Fun of It!

Trained in free flight and Camaro engine inspection?!? Most impressive!

How did Meisha do with the flyover? Did all go as planned?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Camaros Take Dallas
Shades of Orange

Just for the Fun of It!

Meisha appears suitably impressed with Bowtie Muscle Power!

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date

Trained in free flight and Camaro engine inspection?!? Most impressive!

How did Meisha do with the flyover? Did all go as planned?
Meisha made two passes as scheduled from the far-side performing a grand hole-shot, to me behind the media staging area, video camera. Didn’t come close to redlining it. However, did follow the orange line.

That was the quietest stable of horses ever experienced.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Nice! Despite the lineup of Camaros, I'm betting she stole the show!

Hey, all! We've reached the ides of January, officially halfway through the contest. Hoping for a deluge of entries for the second half of the month. Remember, we're looking for successes, epic fails, and everything in between. The spectacular as well as the hilarious. Keep them coming!

Most Reactions

Latest posts