Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Here is my and Salty's entry, we just shot this tonight.

Hard to pick just one.

kCzm9Ew5ny4

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Roof Launching Made Easy!

Roof-Launch-v2.png

Eagle-Symbol-v3.png

Missing flight feathers are prominent.

Fiddling-on-the-Roof-v2.png

Northrop-Flying-Wing.png

The profile lines in this one reminds me of the NASA concept Northrop Grumman flying wing.

Cruising-v2.png

In-Your-Face.png

Drop-2-vb.png

Drop-3-vb.png

Roof-Launch-4vb.png

Entry Classification: Montage / Funzies

Wow! Thank you for all of these! What breathtaking shots of Meisha! Beautiful! Just beautiful!

Hard to pick just one.

https://youtu.be/kCzm9Ew5ny4
kCzm9Ew5ny4

Awesome entry, Al & Salty! Stacking boxes? Impressive. Promptly leaning up afterward? Priceless.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Truly excellent Al!

just an FYI WhiteFlight; Anytime you're beautiful Too lands on the roof, please take the time to closely inspect the legs and feet as the fine, sharp stone can easily cut their skin. Great flight photos!!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots

Hard to pick just one.

Amazing Wrench. Salty has the interaction figured out. Fluid without hesitation. Well done!

Doesn't take him long to get most tricks, just a time or 2 showing him or doing it with him and he gets it.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Another JFF! Jolly attempting to get two treats for the price of one. This was back when I was first teaching him the difference between colors.
[ame="https://youtu.be/-i84_jXn00c"]Jolly Double Dip - YouTube[/ame]

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Another JFF! Jolly attempting to get two treats for the price of one. This was back when I was first teaching him the difference between colors.
Jolly Double Dip - YouTube

Love this! Jolly knew just how to extract another treat from Dad. Who could resist?!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Hahahahaha! Yes, they do. And yes, Jolly knows me well. That bird would move mountains for a treat! Lol!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Hey all, only a few days left to get your entries in! Let's see those epic fails and shining triumphs! Those training firsts. Those training moments that lead to deepening of the bonds. Let's see all of it!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Why We Train
I wanted to explain why I think trick training with Salty is so important to me. It’s not for developing some kind of show, or anything to do with a performance, ie Americas Got Talent or the like. Its not to have a Youtube channel that generates money. Its not to have some sort of ‘bona fide’s’ and do parrot behavior consulting. Its not to have a Guinness record for the most tricks learned. None of those.
I train with Salty every single night, and if I am out of the country on business or out of town with my band doing a concert, my wife, Geri, does the training session with him. If I skip a session ( rare), Salty will be grumpy the next day and let me know in no uncertain terms that he is displeased about it. I have to get back into his good graces all day. We train from 8:45Pm to maybe 9:10, and if 8:50 rolls around, and I am not getting the training area ready, and sorting out the nights tricks and props, Salty lets me know that “Hey you’re LATE”.
In my opinion only -
So why trick training? Our companion parrots depend on us not only for food, water, safety and maintenance, but also they depend on and need the interaction that parrots in the wild have with their flock members. We have to provide that. And they are smart, make no mistake about that. Folks talk about how parrots have the development of a 3 or 4 year old human toddler, but I think that is just the emotional development. I think they are much smarter when it comes to cognitive abilities, and I can’t really put an age on that. That meant, to me, I had a responsibility to engage Salty in a challenging environment, to hone his mind. Teaching him tricks seemed a good place to work from.
And after 5 years of training sessions, call it 350 nights a year, I am constantly amazed at his cognitive abilities. Salty comes to each session ready to not only run thru the tricks he knows already, but to also learn new things. It is not unusual for him to learn a new trick in one or 2 tries. We have a rapport when learning new tricks; I will show him what I want him to do by myself, and then we will do the trick together and then I let him try it by himself. By the next training session, he usually does it correctly by himself (which makes me think that he has been pondering the trick).
Members on here will know that I often suggest to new members or members with a problem parrot that they start their own training sessions. It is because I believe it is a great way to start or strengthen your bond with your parrot. Working that closely with your parrot, you will learn a lot more about him, what he likes to do and doesn’t. Keeps their minds sharp. Piques their curiosity in a constructive way. Gives them a sense of accomplishment when they learn a trick successfully, I think they do have that ability to feel proud of themselves, when they get not only the treat but our own applause and appreciation. You will see how smart they are! Salty will take a trick and morph it into something else, something he came up with; I’ve seen this a number of times. Or he will try to cheat! An example – we have a set of 8 stacking cups which we use for several different tricks. The latest one is to lay all 8 in a row, and Salty has to put the stack back together correctly. He gets a treat only after all are stacked up, ending with the smallest. The other day he ran to the end of the line, grabbed the smallest one and put it into the largest first cup and waited expectantly for his treat! Only a cognitive mind would think to try that.

In short, trick training with Salty has given me so much appreciation for the sharpness of the parrot intellect, a much better appreciation for his abilities to reason and apply himself, and most of all strengthens our bond immeasurably.

AL & Salty, hard at work.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Perfectly said, Al! I agree wholeheartedly. I've always felt that training is the closest thing to full on conversation we can have with our parrots. It's communication, which is why it does so much to strengthen the bond between bird and parront. And intelligent as our feathered companions are, it's a good way to keep them mentally stimulated and happy.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
JFF - Maya revealing who exactly is in charge of these training sessions.
[ame="https://youtu.be/JvuB3-AYGuw"]Tricky Maya - YouTube[/ame]

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
The training video where Jolly mastered color-coded fetch:
Red and Blue Rings - YouTube

Impressive talent. Our feathered companions are limited in someways to what we, are able to teach them.

Truly excellent Al!

just an FYI WhiteFlight; Anytime you're beautiful Too lands on the roof, please take the time to closely inspect the legs and feet as the fine, sharp stone can easily cut their skin. Great flight photos!!!

Thank you for the comments and concerns.

Most Reactions